Friday, August 29, 2008

Another vice rides into the sunset

Sigh. Sad. Another one of my youthful indulgences looks like it's biting the dust. It appears that my body just can't tolerate sodas any more. I mean the regular, full-calorie versions. If I drink a can of Coke or Dr. Pepper, it just seems to screw me up no end. My blood sugar just goes all wonky. My vision gets blurry. I feel tired and bogged down and rotten. I'm pretty sure it's the unuadulterated high-fructose corn syrup that's jacking with my metabolism.

And I luuuuvvv soda. I love the bite. I love the sweet. I love the way when you take a big swallow it's like the bubbles scrape down the back of your throat. And, of course, the caffeine buzz. I grew up on peanuts and Coke as a big treat. And I think Dr. Pepper may be the Official Drink of the State of Texas (non-alcoholic division). I get chills up my arms when I hear the sound of a soda can being opened. There's just not one thing I don't love. Aside from the fact that it makes me feel like unholy hell afterward.

I tried to keep sodas as a treat - you know, if I cut back calories here, I can have a Coke later today - but even then, I end up feeling like caca. Just not worth the pain. And diet soda is just not an option for me. Even if I can get over the taste (a big if), artificial sweetners give me headaches. Luckily, I do like club soda. All the fizzy, none of the corn sweetner. But, it's just not the full soda experience. Good. But not as good.

So this is just one more thing that I lose on the road to old. Like being able to do the splits or wearing ultra-low-rise pants without a muffin top explosion. Another little bit of youth sliding away. Sigh.

5 comments:

momo said...

You could do the splits ?! :)

FirePhrase said...

You bet your bananas I could. Until I was about 30. You know what they say about if you don't use it.

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm with you - suffering MAJOR Coke withdrawals here - managed to go cold turkey for two weeks now then attended a BBQ yesterday so allowed myself to indulge on this "special occasion" and drank 3 cups - crashed and then was up until 4am and VERY cranky now. I hate it but I LOVE it so. When will they catch on and switch back to natural sugar- one local company Cricket Cola uses all-natural organic ingredients including sugar not corn sweetener. It takes really good too and cute marketing/packagng plus bonmus being local BUT it costs $$$ - if I'm going to pay wine bar prices for soda, then I want Sangria. I know why Cricket has too charge more - but damn, folks - give an addict a break and market an off-brand soda with full-sugar and taste that won't break the bank - Crickat?

Right now I'm switching to iced tea to get me through the summer - don't know how I'll survive the short winter days without my fix though.

BTW did you see "King Corn"? Definitely worth a Netflix peak.

FirePhrase said...

one of the beauties of living in TX is that if I go to a little effort, I can find the original "Dublin" Dr. Pepper. Made with cane sugar at their original plant in Dubin, TX. Also a bit expensive, but tastes sooooo good. And I can find Mexican Coke and Sprite. Also made with cane sugar. But it evidently pisses the US wing of Coca-Cola off, so you have to go out of your way to find it. But it tastes exactly like what you remember a Coke tasting like when you were a kid. Yum!!

WashingtonGardener said...

Okay I may have to have you senda case of both up here - LOL - bootleg Coke.

TIME: Quotes of the Day