Tuesday, August 26, 2008

In Black and White

I'm currently fascinated with old movies. In my completely enamored state with DVRs, I can go through the Turner Classic Movies list, and check off anything that looks likely. I'm picking up some of the classics that I always think I should have seen, but never have. Like Rope, Swing Time, African Queen.

And I can just pick up stuff by actors that I like. After having dissed Gene Kelly awhile back, I suddenly find myself kind of fascinated with him. It's probably all those sweater vests he wore. I dig a cute fella in a sweater vest. Or if Jimmy Stewart (my favorite since I was 3), is in a marathon, I can just go crazy and record everything.

The nice thing about the DVR is that it removes any sense of guilt. I can start a movie, and so what if it's a bore? Delete. No harm, no foul. Or in the case of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies, I can fast forward through the boring bits to the dance sequences. Like Carefree. Phenomenally boring movie. Not even close to one of their best. But it has Ginger Rogers in the most BEAUTIFUL DRESS EVER MADE. Seriously. She wears it in the "Change Partners and Dance" sequence at the end. It's a full floor length black beaded lace with a low back (because Ginger had a gorgeous back) and a scalloped hem. And when Fred dips her, you can see through the lace of the skirt. Unbelievable.

One of the things that I noticed is that women's roles in the 40s and 50s were a lot different than what you see today. And in a way that surprises me. You think of that era being pre-feminist revolution, and that all the women would be repressed, suppressed and depressed. And probably not all that bright. Not so. Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire didn't fall in love with dumb bunnies in those movies. The gals were usually just as sharp as the men, and gave as good as they got in the dialogue department. You can't have witty banter without two smart people. And in the old comedies, it was all about the banter.

And in the repressed department, I think it's kind of open to interpretation. No, you never saw sex on screen. But they actually don't say sex isn't happening either. What goes on off stage is open to the viewer's interpretation. If you think Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds go home and have milk and cookies together, then that's what they do. Or if you think they're making with the whoopie, there's nothing to say that's not what's happening either. And in fact, with Ginger Rogers you definitely got the feeling that she knew what was what. No flies on her.

Okay, I probably couldn't give up my modern movies entirely in favor of the old films. I like explosions, cursing, sex scenes, fart jokes and, well, technicolor as much as the next person. But it does make a fun diversion to see the old flicks. I'm kind of looking forward to the re-make of The Women that's coming out. I've seen the old black and white on TCM, and it will be interesting to see just how different that movie will be. Watching all the classics is definitely giving me a knew perspective on what comes out today.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day