Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The girl in the corner said, "Boy, I wanna warn you"

It's a funny thing to divide a check when you have "nice" friends.

Nice people get screwed dividing a check for the most part. They split the check 3 ways when they had iced tea and soup, and the rest of the party had martinis and steak. They politely don't mention that they didn't want an appetizer, even though it was for "the whole table". They slip a couple of extra dollars on the table when the waitress gets shorted on tip because figuring out 15% is just too difficult on $50.24. Going out to dinner with a large group of people is a minefield for nice people.

Except when it's all nice people. Then it's a whole different kind of melee. You're so relieved that these people, your very, very nice friends, will not under any circumstances screw you over. And you are worried that they are so nice that they will screw themselves over. "No, that's my two beers, and you didn't have any of the fries, and didn't you get my lunch last week, I know I got the parking, but it wasn't nearly as expensive, and you had to drive much further. . ." And it's not just one person trying to make sure everything is fair and even-steven. It's everybody. Ballroom blitz.

Eh. Nice problem to have.

5 comments:

Desiree' said...

There is a reason I always ask for separate checks. lol

FirePhrase said...

Separate checks would be great. But I wilt under the skunk eye that you get from wait staff when you ask for it. Such a wimp.

WashingtonGardener said...

I usedto be like that too - but business networking lunches and such have taught me that separate checks is pretty normal now and really NOT a big deal. Just make sure you say it BEFORE the first drink order is even started/ I'd give you a major stink-eye and then some (re: extra saliva on your steak) if I were a waitress and you told me mid-order or after.

FirePhrase said...

Hmm. You're sure it's not trouble? I fear the skunk eye, but I shall attempt it.

Desiree' said...

I haven't had a waitress mad about it in a long time. But I do tell them before I order anything. It's not that hard for them if they know ahead of time.

TIME: Quotes of the Day