Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Fall Crop

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/27/AR2008082703427.html

Okay, two points.

Actually, first Lisa de Moraes from the Washington Post is probably one of the funniest TV reviewers out there. Though, going by this column, I think she may need to take a vacation - hating everyone and everything is not a good sign. Even in a TV reviewer.

But, to return to my salient points:

One - The return of Cupid: I don't know how this happened, but I'm all for it. The original Cupid from back in the 90s, starring Jeremy Piven and pitilessly cancelled by some evil, pointy-headed TV exec, was golden. And whenever I talk about good shows that got cancelled without getting a fair shot, Cupid is on the list. And evidently, the same show is being given another chance. And with the lovely and talented Bobby Canavale, I'm hoping it's got a fighting chance. The premise is that this guy thinks he's the real Cupid. Everybody else thinks he's nuts. Heartwarming hilarity ensues. It was well written and had some snappy dialogue. And I'm looking forward to it. [And speaking of brilliant but cancelled shows, Mr. Network Executive, can we give Profit another try? Please? Please??]

And on to point

Two - Nathan Fillian in Castle. I think everybody needs to get together to get behind this show. Nathan needs one in the win column. It seems like as soon as I've figured out he's in a new show, it gets cancelled. And we cannot have him labeled Nielsen box poison. No actor deserves it less. If a show he's on goes down, it's not because he isn't working his ass off. So personally, I say everybody should watch Castle. Even if it's, through no fault of Fillian's, so bad that it makes your ears ring and your eyeballs bleed. We cannot let him go down with another ship.

Otherwise, I haven't heard much about this fall season that's made my ears prick up. Y'all heard of anything?

5 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I personnaly can't stand Lisa DeM - snarky bitch is usual for her. At least TOm Shales writes brilliant lead graphs everytime for his reviews whether I totally disagree withhim or not - which I usually do as he hates reality TV, beefcake, and sappy girl movies - all things I love.

I too mourned Cupid - I'll give it a chance - but Piven was a pivotable part of that show's charm. Don't know from Castle - I'll look out for the promos.

FirePhrase said...

There was a real convergence of character and performer with Piven and Cupid. But I've loved Bobby Canavale since The Station Agent, so I have some hopes here. It could work.

FirePhrase said...

And I don't mind the snarky/bitchy from Lisa DeM. As long as it's not aimed at me. Wouldn't want to be on her bad side. Tom Shales is very fun to read. I don't always agree with him either. But he is usually interesting.

victory4angela said...

I'm a huge Lisa DeM fan just cuz she usually tells it like it is. Plus, her accounts of American Idol are dead on hilarious.

I haven't heard of anything on the tv horizon that gets me excited. I'm still mourning the loss of Men in Trees. Waaaaaaah!

FirePhrase said...

I'm hearing the pain on Men in Trees a lot. Haven't seen an in-kind replacement for that one on the horizon at all.

And the Lisa deM "We Watch Idol So You Don't Have To" is absolute truth in advertising.

TIME: Quotes of the Day