Wednesday, August 27, 2008

NWS, WTF?

Of course. Of course as soon as gas prices start to drop. Then. Then we get another sonofabitchin hurricane headed straight for the Gulf. Shut down oil platforms. Worry about the refineries. Kiss the "cheap" gas goodbye. Goddammit. I can blame the oil companies for many things. I think they're responsible for a lot of stuff. I still can't quite blame them for major weather phenomena. That's a little too General Zod-style mayhem even for my level of paranoia.

Who I can blame for this little cock up is the National Weather Service. Gustav? Who names a hurricane "Gustav"? Come on. Gust-av. It's right there at the big beginning! Bad name for a hurricane, people. Bad. Why not just name it Windy? Or Blofeld? Or the Big Bad Wolf? Every ancient civilization knew that names have power. Naming a hurricane Gustav? Well that's just foolish.

Personally, I hope Gustav decides to play against type and just has a nervous breakdown in the Gulf. Just falls apart. But frankly, if it ends up getting out of hand, I'm blaming the NWS for this one. It's just like naming your kid. If you name him Neville, don't be surprised if he becomes a securities fraud defendant. And if you name it Velvet - don't be surprised if she ends up on the pole. And if you name it Gustav, don't be surprised when it blows.

2 comments:

Desiree' said...

I have to agree with you up to the point about Neville. He is one of my favorite HP characters. My daughter got me a t-shirt for my bday with his pic and it says "Neville is my hero".

FirePhrase said...

I guess I whupped on Neville because of the Neville Chamberlain, a historical douchebag extraordinare, association. But in deference to Neville (HP), rather than Neville (DB), how about we change it to Oswald? or Paine? or Wilbert?

TIME: Quotes of the Day