Thursday, November 20, 2008

You're never fully dressed without a hat

I've taken to wearing hats. Not that I'm not a believer in hats as a method of maintaining body temperature. If it's cold, there is a wool hat jammed on my head. Losing all that body heat out of the top of your head may be an old wive's tale. But why take a chance?

But it's not even really cold yet, and I'm kicking down the street with a topper. I saw several people wearing hats on my morning commute, and they just looked so urbane and stylish. I thought "Me too! I wanna be fancy too!" So, I've been digging in my closet, and I've picked up one or two. I've got a black and white driving cap, a gray cadet cap, and green felt flapper hat and a green tweed newsie. And I'm scoping for something like a fedora or a pork-pie.

There's something about the hat. It makes me stand up a little straighter, walk a little swingier. I'm doing a very subtle Miss-Jay-approved sashay. Who says you need to be a 6-foot, 102 pound model to strut it out. Tip that hat a little to the side and you're doing your little turn on the catwalk. Hats are magic.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I have one friend who HATES hats - she says they are silly affectations. She likens them to cravats, spats, white gloves, and such.
I'm getting quite a collection of hats myself - always get compliments when I wear them. The best things is they are petty much one-size fots all and vintage look as good as new - they never go out of style.

FirePhrase said...

Bless her heart for standing up against all silliness. But if it weren't for silly affectations I'd have no personality at all. I live for silly affectations. It's only a matter of time before I pick up a set of fake glasses and a British accent.

WashingtonGardener said...

Hey - I was thinking of faking a British accen just today! Wondering if would make people treat me differently - would be a good social experiment.

FirePhrase said...

Or something just vaguely European, so that nobody is ever sure where you're from. Maybe Ireland. Maybe Greece. It's so very, very tempting.

TIME: Quotes of the Day