Monday, November 17, 2008

Been to the Hell Mouth and Back

I started out moderately intrigued by the Twilight books. Love the cover art. And mmmmm. Vampires? Yes, please.

But there were so many books to read, and it never seemed to show up at the Halfie, so I never quite got around to it. Then there was going to be a movie. Why bother reading when I can be spoon-fed the entire story in under 2 hours? [Don’t give me that look. It’s YA vamp lit. It’s not like I opted to watch the Great Gatsby instead of reading the book.] Film away. I’ll wait.

But then I started hearing from other people who read the book. And the commercials seem to be reinforcing the opinions I'm hearing. It appears that our brave heroine isn’t all that brave. In fact, she spends a lot of time being menaced and getting saved. And the commercial just reinforces it. Tall, dark and platelet-poor boy says “I feel the need to protect you” to thin, pale and damselish girl. Oh, really, O-neg breath? The fangs and the blood mustache indicate that you’re not really qualified for the “protector” role.

Seriously. Once we’ve been to Sunnyvale, can we really go back? The only man Buffy Summers needed to protect her was Mr. Pointy. Cause she knew that even though your dreamy dead-guy boyfriend may be able jump in and dust the menacing fang case for you, but he can also decide you look yummy. And not in the good way. Sometimes, you can scream and scream, but the only one around to drive that stake in is you. Girls who stand around wilting while they wait to be saved end up Happy Meals on Legs.

So thanks much, Stephanie Meyer. We learned that every girl’s a Slayer. Except evidently your little shrinking violet. Yawn. Not interested.

8 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm digging the dreamy posters they have up - so I'm going to give it a chance.

I got all the scrappy I need from Sooky on True Blood, Twilight can have some simpering to balance that out.

FirePhrase said...

The artwork is definitely right in my sweet spot. But dang. Can't take the wet noodle heroines. I just end up yelling at the screen - "Oh, for godsakes, just eat her already!" Then again, she'd probably taste like marshmallows dipped in Karo.

Desiree' said...

Ok, I am going to have to chastise you for just watching the previews and making an assumption on the book. I have read all the books (my daughter is a huge Twilight fan from before they were really big), and I did enjoy them. They were pretty wholesome (except the last one, that one was crazy weird), but still good. The heroine is actually not a damsel in distress by choice. She is not scared of anything, let alone vampires. But she just seems to have a way of getting into trouble. She blunders into dangerous situations because she is not scared, and then has to be rescued because she is not as strong as the vampires. Anyway, I have seem the preview and the casting is not my favorite, and they took some liberties, so I am not sure that I will like the movies, but I did enjoy the books. Try them, they are much better than you would think.

FirePhrase said...

Okay, wait a minute. She knows vampires exist. She knows that she's not as strong as they are, and is vulnerable. And yet, rather than getting stronger, wilier or moving someplace sunny, she skips around getting into trouble that she needs to be rescued from by her big strong vamp. She's still not sounding like the sharpest knife in the drawer. I respect your opinions, though, so I'll consider the books if I ever do see them at the Halfie (I'm open to new ideas, yet cheap). I'm afraid the movie is a firm NG, not even for a dollar

Desiree' said...

Well, she thinks she is strong. And she is pretty fearless. Mostly she is more concerned with the people she cares about than herself. Anyway, Skylar is going to see the movie this Friday night, so I will know how the movie is then. I am sure that it will suck if it is not close to the movie. She hates that! lol

FirePhrase said...

Fearless in the face of vampires? So, you're saying she's a little whackadoodle? (And yes, I'm still using that word - thanks, Suede!) Of course, you're talking to somebody who sleeps with a vampire shield every night, even though I know they don't exist. So on the trepidation scale, I'm way off the charts.

The New York Times has a good interview with the director and the screenwriter about how they tried to stay as close to the book as a movie would allow:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/movies/moviesspecial/02raff.html?_r=1

Desiree' said...

Yes, that is the word - wackadoodle! Also, instead of buying the book, you could check it out at the public library!

FirePhrase said...

I've tried that. With the late charges I rack up, it's cheaper to buy. I'm a flibbertigibbet.

TIME: Quotes of the Day