Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mmmmmm. Full tummy.

So we have the office Thanksgiving potluck today. I did my newly re-dubbed Hippie Caviar (it's like Texas Caviar, just adding in a little quinoa for that hippie-freak flair. Oh, stop giving me that look. It's good.). It all looked nice. Some homemade. Some store bought. Nothing really suspect looking (and why do people bring that kind of stuff to a potluck? I don't care if sheep's nipples in aspic is your specialty. Nobody wants to see that next to the coleslaw.).

I ate well. Isn't it funny that even though you've had plenty, a big spread will just put you into Thanksgiving mode? I just leaned back on my chair and thought, "No, where's my zert?" Doesn't matter if you've eaten more than you normally would in a day. There's always room for punkin pie.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Lately I've been going to a lot of potluck type stuff and you nailed it - there is some REALLY suspect looking stuff out there. Why do folks experiment with weird stuff at the expense of others. "Oh, I thought I'd throw some olives in this time." Ugh! Stick with the tried-and-true for group meals or AT LEAST taste it yourself before it gets served.
I always INSIST people label their dish and I'll hound them until they do - cause no one wants to bite into a "brownie" and have a mouthful of fruit-cake like grossness -- this actually happened at a wake I went to last month. Blech! I have still not forgiven that person.

FirePhrase said...

On my Hippie Caviar, I dumb it down a lot for potlucks. Usually I put in parsley and a lot of green pepper sauce. But those are two things that can really turn people off. But when I make it for myself and close friends - it's on like Donkey Kong.

momo said...

... I am officially fasting until next Thursday ...

FirePhrase said...

Not me. Gotta get up to my fighting weight. You can't just walk in on Thanksgiving Day and expect to be able to feast properly. It takes a lot of training and preparation.

TIME: Quotes of the Day