Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A simple plan becomes less simple

So, I’ve been doing the eating every 2 hours or so thing. And I’d say, overall, it’s been a fairly good experience. I don’t get the blood sugar crashes and my energy seems to be more consistent than on the 3-squares a day plan. It doesn’t seem to help with sugar cravings or weight management, but that’s a little much to ask, given that we are talking about me. I’d say for my body type, this seems to be a good plan.

Except.

Here’s the catch: Once you get used to eating small meals frequently, when you go past your limit, watch out. It’s like something else takes over. A Tasmanian Devil or a Langolier. Last night, I had errands to run and was at about 3 ½ hours past my last meal. And it hit me. This crazed need for food. An angry and crazed need for food. I pulled into the Taco Cabana and nearly grabbed the counter girl by the neck and growled “Give me food now or I will eat my own arm and make you watch!” I was able to maintain a civilized veneer. Counter Girl may not even have suspected what a close call she had.

But I ordered waaaaay too much food. When you’re that out of control hungry, there are no breaks on that little bobsled. You’re ordering anything that sounds good. And it all sounds good. And it probably all should be topped with queso. I would have mentally added up the calories as I drove away, but I was already trying to steer and break into the chip bag at the same time. There were only so many processes my brain could handle at the time. Probably just as well.

So obviously, I need to start carrying an emergency stash in my purse. Something shelf stable, that won’t get easily crushed or melt under variable purse conditions. Hmmm. That’s going to take a little thought. But it’s worth the effort. Going all Langolier at the Taco Cabana is not something I want to make a regular occurrence.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I carry a Power bar or other energy bar with me at all times. I rarely eat it - but when I do BUY do I need it.

Plus it makes me feel all smug when I'm on the metro or in an elevator knowing that should armageddon hit at least I will not starve before help arrives.

FirePhrase said...

I have yet to find a nutrition bar that is durable, yet tasty. Or at least not so dense that I give myself TMJ trying to chew it. Though the protein content on the Power bar is an advantage. Luna bars are delicious. But they're too squashable. And a bit too tempting to have, literally, within arms-reach in my purse at all times. I may be asking too much of a mere snack food here.

WashingtonGardener said...

My usual standbys are Luna Bars - yes, they get quite squashed - and that is good as when I'm NOT hungry that flat thing in the bottom of my bag is no temptation. But when you are ravenous, squashed or not, it still tastes great.

FirePhrase said...

Even a squashed lemon Luna bar sounds pretty good to me. This seems like a really good marketing niche you could hit. A purse food that's durable and tasty, but not too tasty.

TIME: Quotes of the Day