Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Drive me crazy

I'm hearing a lot of moaning about the idea of bailing out the car companies. And I do get it. The American auto industry has been doing stupid ass sh,um,stuff for longer than even the financial institutions. The whole SUV thing? Dumb. Really dumb. Honestly, they do deserve to go down in flames.

But it's irrelevant. For one reason, and one reason alone. And it's not to bolster the economy. It's not to fend off The Great Depression Part Deux. Quite simply, if Barack Obama is going to make good on his plan to reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources, he's going to need the auto industry on board. Granted, they should have been on board all along. But they're greedy corporate blood suckers. And greedy corporate blood suckers don't get on board out of the goodness of their hearts. They get on board because there's a gun to their heads. Well, gentlemen, let me introduce Mssrs. Smith and Wesson. Also known as Chapter 11. Start making energy efficient cars, or die.

Or at least that should be part of the deal. If the American tax-payer is going to pull those idiots' collective nuts out of the fire, I think we need to get something back. And if I'm ever going to achieve my dream of owning a car that runs on banana peels and moonbeams, this is the time to a firmly apply a boot to the ass of the auto industry.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I have a BIG problem with any of MY money going to GM - mainly that so much of our tax money ALREADY has subsidized these monsters - they get way more than their share of tax breaks, subsidies, road maintenance, etc. It is just criminal.

FirePhrase said...

I hear ya. It is a bitter pill. But I'm seriously worried that we're between the devil and the deep blue sea on this one. If we don't keep an auto industry here, we'll be completely dependent on foreign producers (where have I heard that before?) for cars. And then we have to take whatever they give us, eco-progressive or no.

If we're going to snatch the auto makers nuts out of the fire, I think we should hold onto those self-same nuts and squeeze them but good until the Big 3 give us what they should have been producing 30 years ago - clean, fuel efficient, safe cars, and workable solutions for mass transit.

I'm pissed at them too. Unfortunately, pissed doesn't solve anything.

TIME: Quotes of the Day