Monday, July 19, 2010

Stuck in the Middle with You

Here’s something I was thinking about this weekend. There was this article I saw, once again, about how super-thin models and actresses are giving girls an un-healthy ideal, and turning them into anorexics. But I started thinking about the other end of the scale. What about the girls who look at a Blake Lively or a Leighton Meester and think, “Well, I’m never going to be that, so I give up.” There are girls out there who will try to starve themselves to some scarecrow thin ideal. But there are also ones who know that no amount of calorie restriction will ever get them to that point, so why even try?

And given the entertainment industries love of extremes, if they think to promote other body images, they go straight for girls who are pretty firmly in the other end of the bell curve. I think it’s great that some of the more voluptuous girls are getting attention too. The girls on Huge over on ABC Family are terrific, and beautiful. But it’s like the just plain average girl doesn’t exist. You can be thin and glamorous, or fat and fabulous. But if you’re just kind of regular, forget it. Maintaining a healthy BMI, eating in well and in moderation and getting a little exercise? How boring. Nobody’s interested. I guess that’s just the industry. If you are happy as you are, they don’t have anything they can sell you.

I don’t know, maybe it’s because I grew up in the Free to Be You and Me generation. I think just being the best you is a pretty good goal. Forget about what anyone else is; concentrate on what makes you you, and be that. And if you’re naturally skinny, that’s great. If you are doing everything right and still have some junk in the trunk, that’s great too. And, heaven forbid, you happen to just be average, how lucky can you get?

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day