Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Internet Hall Monitor

Okay, I hate it when people act like they are the arbiters of all that is just and noble on the internet and go off on somebody for a simple mistake. So, instead of browbeating some flak at the Water Tower Theater, I will share my holy rage with you guys. Time to go Mel Gibson on somebody's ass. Except without the racism and threats of violence.



This would be from an advertisment e-mail I received from the WaterTower for their production of The Full Monty. I've seen the show before. A delightful little musical. NOT based on a 1975 movie. A quick look at the internet shows that the copy was probably cribbed from another theater's website which listed the movie's date as 1957. Which means somebody figured out that the 57 was probably wrong, but decided that the number was only transposed, and just flipped those babies around. Grrr.

You see, there's this thing, called IMDb. If you are in the least, tiny bit of doubt about this sort of thing, or are, oh, say, sending out an e-mail in which you represent an organization and in which you'd like to look your best, you can just tippy-tappy your little fingers on a keyboard and find out these things. There is no need to speculate. And instead of relying on some other summer intern at some other poorly funded theater, who probably types by hunting and pecking, and who was probably not BORN in 1975, you can actually go and look it up your very own self.

In fact, you should probably just check all your copy. Given that it is actually also an Academy Award winning movie (okay, just best original score for a musical or comedy, but still, not bad in addition to the Best Picture nom). But see, I know that because I looked on Wikipedia. Because I was the not sure of my facts. Because I had doubts. So I went and looked it up. Okay, not everything on the wiki is right. But in this case it wasn't twenty-two years off. Bless us all, it's the information age. There's a ton of it out there. Let's use some. Or, maybe even come up with our own copy, instead of vomitting up somebody else's reheated regugitation. It really is a charming musical. Surely you could have come up with a few lines of text of your own?

But instead of unloading this on poor, little Ida Intern, I share my bile with you, gentle readers. Because, unlike Mel Gibson, I am a lady.

5 comments:

glorm said...

Because, dear lady, it would have taken them 30 seconds to look up the info. We can't have that delay, can we now? Gheesh.

FirePhrase said...

Ugh. Especially when it's for advertising. Though I'm wondering if poor little Ida is getting hammered by e-mails from people who . . . don't have blogs where they can vent to the completely innocent. She'll learn. She'll learn.

victory4angela said...

If the doofus who did that had even thought about it vs being lazy, they should've realized that the 50s was pretty prudish. There's NO WAY a movie like Full Monty with full-frontal male nudity would've been made back then.

Not with squeaky-clean teen idols like Pat Boone, Doris Day, and Sandra Dee ruling the big screen.

FirePhrase said...

Can you imagine Troy Donahue dropping trou in a movie? Well, maybe. I think he was actually built like a Ken doll.

victory4angela said...

Oops and I flipped it to 1957. Still, the person should've looked it up before they typed.

TIME: Quotes of the Day