Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Make it stooooop!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/none/why-did-the-internet-beat-up-an-11-year-old-2087966/

Okay, I wasn’t aware of this one. Apparently, this Jessi kid went ballistic on YouTube. Made some really inappropriate comments. Went the full Gibson in front of God and the internet. And also apparently, the internet hall monitors decided to teach her a lesson. A rough lesson.

Maybe (probably) it would be to this little girl’s benefit to rein her in a little bit (Glocks and brain slushies? Honey.). But I can tell you, getting metaphorically slapped around by strangers wouldn’t have worked with me when I was 11. It would have just made me crazy angry. Or, in her case, crazier angry.

You know what would have worked on me? A bunch of concerned middle-aged people showing up at my house, turning their sad, concerned middle-aged faces at me and saying in sad, concerned middle-aged voices “Sweetie, you seem . . . upset. Is there something you need to talk about? We are so proud of you that you are able to use the YouTube. But this seems like you’re “acting out” [accompanied by the air quotes]. We know that you are a smart young lady, and are capable of so much better behavior. What can we do to help you be the best young person you can be?” EEEEEEEEKKKKK! And especially if the adults showed up in big cardigans and mom jeans (even the men) and could work the terms “good example”, “changing bodies” and, worst of all, “your period” into the conversation. I’d have done anything to make that conversation stop and for the adults to go away. Anything. Even acted like a grown up.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day