Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Loss for the Slow Movement

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100721/ts_nm/us_marijuana_california

More from those crazy kids in California.

I myself don’t indulge in the marijuana, but this would seem to me to be more like a death knell for pot culture than a victory. And it really flies in the face of the whole organic, heirloom, small farm movement. Honestly? Corporate farms growing weed? That can’t be good. As much as I want my tomatoes grown by a lady in overalls and a giant sunhat, don’t potheads want their ganja grown by a bearded guy in a tie-dyed Grateful Dead t-shirt? I mean, where’s the quality control? Where’s the craft? If Monsanto is growing bud, I can guarantee there’s going to be a lot of hippies complaining about the quality of the "produce" that they’re getting at the supermarket. Sure there will be a lot of it. But it’s all going to be weak. I may not smoke pot, but I do know tomatoes, so let me share these words of wisdom – artisanal and homegrown. It’s the only way to go.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

a medical marijuana store is opening near me - guess who is running it? a rabbi and his wife! yeah, indulging Mary Jane is no longer counter-culture in any sense of the term

FirePhrase said...

I'm wondering if this little foray into the mainstream won't scare conservatives as much as the gay movement did. Backlash can be ugly. Social conservatives are usually okay with things if they stay back alley or back of the closet. If they get even a whiff that something might be happening with the average looking people next door, it's time to go on Fox and have a melt down. Cue Glenn Beck.

TIME: Quotes of the Day