Thursday, July 9, 2009

If you're me, or someone like me

There’s an article in the Washington Post about generational differences, and with it is a cheat sheet on how to read each generation (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/08/AR2009070804339.html?sid=ST2009070901288) that includes traits. To which I thought, bite me. You don’t know me. Then I read it. Pretty dead on. Kind of eerie. Here’s the case against Gen Xers (along with how I think we answer on each count of the indictment):

-- Pragmatic – I actually do think we’re pretty pragmatic as a group. We may have invented the phrase “It is what it is.” We don’t really get involved in pie-in-the-sky causes, and would rather do something that has clear results. Once burned by “Hands Across America”, twice shy.

-- Self-sufficient - Don’t get us started about those punk-ass, lazy bitch millenials. There’s no free lunch, kiddies.

-- Skeptical – See the “bite me” above.

-- Flexible – Our parents got divorced. Our friends came out of the closet. The world changed at least 6 times before we graduated high school. We learned early that if you’re hard coded in your ideas, you’re toast.

-- Individualistic – We gotta be different. Which is among the main reasons we’ve been naming our kids effed up things like Puma and Tiger Lily.

-- "Me" Generation – I write a blog that’s mainly about . . . me. ‘Nuff said.

-- Distrust authority – Watergate, Iran Contra, Lewinsky Gate, WMDs. Who would trust those guys?

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

This is kinda like a horoscope - yes, we GenXs fit that - but I bet Baby Boomers could see themselves in that too. I do feel the authority-problems is HUGE for me though - and graduating college right into a recession was a slap in the face, kinda makes me feel for the current crop of kids (almost).

FirePhrase said...

Kind of nature versus nurture thing. How much does the environment of the times affect a certain age group? I think one of the fine points on authority between us and the Boomers is that Watergate happened when they were adults, and shocked them. We grew up with it as a fact. They think authority can turn bad. We think it most likely is bad. Who are you to tell me what to do?

My niece who's graduating from high school and I have had the talk about becoming an adult during tough financial times. It really changes your perspective on what you expect out of life and what's important. It will be interesting to see what kind of spin it puts on their generational character.

WashingtonGardener said...

I think I have the traits of all 3 recent generations - but am so NOT a "Traditionalist" - and don't see HOW after the Depression THEY can "trust the system" either. I'm going off to the local retirement homes and do some confronting, I bet they don't fit these traits either.

Traditionalists
Born: 1922-1945
Life-Shaping Events
-- World War II
-- Depression
-- FDR era

Traits
-- Conservative
-- Disciplined
-- Respect authority
-- Loyal
-- Patriotic
-- Risk-averse
-- Trust the system

FirePhrase said...

That profile is my grandparents to the ground. And actually, my dad (Okies have kids young). I've always thought I have more in common with the Lost Generation/Bright Young Things than any of the others. That sort of blend of jollity and despair.

I think I've ridden out the events that have shaped Gen Y, more than been influenced by them. That genuine self-confidence the article mentions for them is just completely alien to me. I sweat self-doubt.

TIME: Quotes of the Day