Thursday, July 9, 2009

The City of New Orleans

Well, I did it. There was a smoking sale from Southwest Air and I booked a trip to New Orleans in September. By myself. You have no idea what a “wow” making idea this is.

In the past I’ve taken the big summer trip with friends. But last year, I said I’d had enough of the stress for awhile, and I wasn’t going to wrangle a big trip again until somebody else did one. On the one hand, it does cause me a fantastic amount of stress. I worry about everybody’s schedule, and what the weather will be like, and are there enough things to do, and is the rental house big enough, close enough, cheap enough, and who’s bringing what and cooking what, and is everybody happy and having a good time, and blah blah blah. On and on. Stressful.

But the stress is only part of the equation. I need somebody to feel my pain. Because as it is, I start planning early, and making people make decisions early, and everybody thinks I’m this giant nervous Nelly, who is bugging them with all these silly concerns. But because I’m the one who’s handled the details, I know that if you don’t get people to commit to a day, people’s schedules book up. And if you don’t get a rental house early, all the reasonably priced places are gone in the week you need. And if you don’t organize food ahead of time, you get five people showing up with buns, and nobody showing up with hot dogs. What I need is somebody else, anybody else, who has done the wrangling too. And if they’ve been through what I’ve been through, the next time that I organize one of these things, there’s another voice saying, “Seriously, guys, she’s not nuts.” Cause right now it’s like herding cats. And I’ve had enough. Or if I actually am over planning this whole extravaganza, then they can tell me, “Seriously, you’re making this harder than it is. Chill.” And I’ll accept that too. I just need a second pair of eyes here.

But that was a year and a half ago. Nobody has stepped up. And I’m tired of waiting. I want my vacation. And I have a sneaking suspicion that everybody thinks that if they wait me out, I’ll jump in and fix it all. Nuh uh. Not happening. I’m not going to play cruise director for everybody, but I sure as shooting will do it for myself. I guess I’m kind of making a point.

So. NOLA. I’ve always wanted to go. Southwest has a sale. It seemed like a sign. Of course, I also booked in hurricane season, cause I’m smart like that. But since it’s just me that I need to wrangle, I’m not all that uptight about it. Whatever will be will be. Laissez les bons temps roulez.

But, still, being me, I’m already starting my little folder of stuff to do. I only have 4 days (I’m not sure how much I’ll like my own company – I’ve never been on vacation by myself before. Oh, my.), and I don’t want to over book myself so that I have time to do the Tennessee Williams thing and write, but I also want to get a good taste of New Orleans. So if anybody has a “don’t miss” they’d like to recommend, I’m up for suggestions. I’m all ears.

10 comments:

victory4angela said...

Go have a good time and if you end up "earning" some free beads with a little girls gone wild action, no one will ever know!

My former manager spent 8 months in NOLA working on some contract and he loved it. He hand-drew his own map of the city and would tell people where to visit. I'll email him to ask for recommendations. Obviously, Cafe du Monde should be high on your list for some tasty coffee and bignets.

FirePhrase said...

Given the size of my chest, I'd have to get on a payment plan to earn beads.

And I've made sure "walking distance to Cafe Du Monde" was my primary search criteria for finding a hotel. One hotel listed free continental breakfast. Are you kidding me? There are beignets in this town and you think I want your raggedy old blueberry muffin and juice? Per-lease.

FirePhrase said...

And if he has any suggestions, pass them along. I'd be grateful.

momo said...

cool ... have never been on vacation be myself either ... have fun. Oh and btw please accept this fact -- “Seriously, you’re making this harder than it is. Chill.” :)

momo said...

Last time I was there, before Katrina, I just wanted to see the city so I hopped the trolly line. Also, took a tour through a couple of the old cemetaries, very interesting and haunting.

FirePhrase said...

I'll reserve my chill pill until somebody (anybody? anybody?) has walked a mile in these moccasins. This bunch of women, one week, remote location, rental house that doesn't look like a meth lab, on a limited budget. If somebody can do it without becoming Anal Retentive Annie, I'll bow to the better authority. I have my chill pill at the ready. So far, no takers.

I'm looking into the street car lines. Do you remember which you took? There are like a million of them. I'm kind of envious of their public transit system.

WashingtonGardener said...

See, I would've guessed you werea lonely plant traveler pro. I do it all the time on my own and love it - no diff from being by yuorself in your home city. (I have not done 3rd world travel though and won't as a single woman.) You will LOVE it - so much better setting your own schedule, dawdling at stpres you like, skipping sites you don't.
In NOLA I always stay at the same B&B on Magazine Street - one block from Ann Rice's and an easy bus ride and walk to most anywhere. Take some Gray Line tours outside the city - the River Plantation ones is terrific. Do the Vampire walking tour (meet at Jackson Sq) and Voodoo tour - if you have not already. Go up the Charles Street and take the street car all the way out and back. Don't forget to take th ferry to Algier's and just stroll around - then check out the mardi gras float warehouses over there.

FirePhrase said...

I always intend to go somewhere by myself, but with only so much vacation time, I always seem to be booked to go places with other people. Too many places to go, too few vacation days. I'm looking forward to giving the solo a go.

Did you do the Vampire and Voodoo tour that's on all the travel shows? It seems to be the popular one. I really enjoyed the ghost tour in Branson. Lots of really great history, even if you're a big ol' sceptic.

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm not sure the tour I took is same one as I rarely watch the TVL cahnnel or shows - but you gather on steps of ST Josephs for the Vamp one at night - for the Voodoo one it was daytime and included cemetary visits and ending at a voodoo store. I also did a ghost stpry one there on another trip - all 3 were very good.
BTW I did NOlA Cooking School too - basically you sit back and watch, get recipes and lunch included - MY KIND of cooking lesson ;-)

FirePhrase said...

Ooooo, cooking lesson? I don't think I'll have time for that . . . hmm, sounds like I haven't even been and I'll need a return trip. Poor me.

I think that's the tour that I'm looking at. The voodoo tour looks like it leaves from a voodoo shop. So that's two birds right there. If I don't bring my niece back a voodoo doll, she'll never speak to me again. I'll have to get over my natural scaredy catness when it comes to voodoo to buy anything and bring it home though. Personally, I don't mess with Papa Legba.

TIME: Quotes of the Day