Monday, July 6, 2009

All I need to know about life I learned in The Preppy Handbook

I needed to bang out some knitting this holiday weekend (I’ve always thought Kali was the patron goddess of knitters - too much yarn, not enough arms), so I spent a number of hours with my butt planted on the couch fingers flying like a fiend. Usually I’ll have the boob tube on for noise while I’m knitting, but it doesn’t need to be anything fascinating. Low level reality programs are pretty much ideal. Clean House, Ace of Cakes, You Are What You Eat. Mildly amusing, not terribly taxing.

This time, I landed on Bravo, which is usually a bit more strum and drang-y than I like for getting yarny with it. But I was just not in the mood to surf. So what I was stuck with was NYC Prep.

Good lord.

If you haven’t seen it, the show follows a cohort of teenagers who go to prep school in Manhattan. Actual preppies. Not just people who wear polo shirts and deck shoes. Honest to god preppies. I started to wonder if all those desperate rich kids movies from the 80s were actually really incredibly accurate about the way the upper crusties live and act, or if that Less Than Zero vision of urban prep has just become so ingrained that these kids think that’s the way they are supposed to act. Honestly, if NYC Prep was a movie made in 1989, there’s a kid who would be played by Robert Downey Jr. In fact, the whole thing was like a Brett Easton Ellis story without the cocaine. The early James Spader oeuvre as docudrama.

Though, I always thought all those society girls were demi-anorexic. But half the Muffies and Buffies (who don’t seem to be named Muffy and Buffy any more – replaced with Madison and Peyton; pity) were border-line chubby. It truly is a sign of a weight crisis in America when the preppy girls look like they eat something other than mineral water and iceberg.

I don’t think I’ll become a regular viewer. I had my left eyebrow raised so high for so long watching this show that I gave myself a migraine. Take the Real Housewives of New York and cross it with My Super Sweet 16 and you’ll get something close to the monstrous egos and sociopathic entitlement that was on display in NYC Prep. I don’t think there’s enough aspirin and cockeyed optimism in the world to get me through a full season.

10 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I've watch 1/5 eps of this don't think I can stand much more - it is the LAME duck parents that really rile me -

BTW on Twitter #Torchwood is trending in top 10 - so jealous of all the Brits twittering about the new mini-series!!!!

victory4angela said...

Oooh, I had hoped to catch it. I'll still watch at least one to make sure you guys are right!

So that's why I hate those uber-trendy names of Peyton and Madison: it's because they are preppy. Frankly, those type of names just grate on my nerves and wouldn't you know it two of my cousins named their kids Peyton and Madison.

I tried to talk one of my friends into giving her unnamed daughter the "Grandma" or "CEO" test that I came up with years ago. If "Grandma Tiffany" or "CEO Tiffany" sounds wack-a-doodle, then don't name your child that name. She ignored me and came up with Kendahl (who I adore, but seriously - Kendahl?)

FirePhrase said...

I have had so many, "If I talked like that to my parents . . ." moments on NYCP. And it usually ends with ". . . I wouldn't have lived to see 18."

Torchwood. Coming. So. Excited. Can't. Think. In. Entire. Sentences. Jack. Save. Me. . .

FirePhrase said...

Isn't funny how that residual hatred of preppies never really goes away? Good times.

And please tell me that it's pronounce "ken-dul" and not "Ken Doll". Does your friend have a strange affinity for men with plastic hair and amorphous genitalia?

WashingtonGardener said...

The NYPrep ep this week in Mexico/Winter break is MUCH better - okay I'll keep tuning in. If just to see the hot boy get drunk and dance with some hefty middle-aged MidWesterner at Senior Frogs again!

FirePhrase said...

Oh, my god I missed that. How did I miss that. Where's my remote?

FirePhrase said...

Also, check out the NY Times article about how these kids are obviously not the top tier prepsters because they lacked the discretion to not make a public discpaly of themselves. Sniff, sniff. Obviously, NOCD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/fashion/05nycprep.html?_r=1&ref=fashion

victory4angela said...

I caught the spring break ep. It was pretty funny seeing that preppy drunk kid dancing with the hefty, much older lady, especially after been such an a-hole to the younger chicks who had begged him to dance earlier.

Those kids aren't the total creme de la creme. The look kind of average. The crew on Fashionista Diaries were much more "preppy". Also, what's up with that one girl with the semi-crossed eyes?

victory4angela said...

You need to watch that spring break episode. I forgot that PC totally dissed two girls at Senor Frogs because they were Texans. He was totally rude to them and told them to leave because they were from Texas. That dude needs a beat down!

FirePhrase said...

Oh, now I have to go find this to watch. Is this the one where PC may or may not be bi? My niece and I have been watching together on recorded episodes. "What is PC's problem?" "I don't know! He is SO rude." "What was with the water bottle?" "Well, I'd throw things at her too." "Is that Taylor or the other one?" "I don't know. I can't see her around Sebastian's hair. Somebody needs to take a Flowbee to that kid."

TIME: Quotes of the Day