Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Feeling betrayed, in a completely non-rational way

I can't express how gacked out I am by the SciFi channel rebranding itself as Syfy. Ugh. Double ugh.

Just how dumbed down do we have to get in this world? It's not cute. It's not funny. It's not what the cool kids are doing. It's just stupid. Syfy. Bah!

And I wouldn't say that science fiction fans are any smarter the general population (I'd think it, but I wouldn't say it), but I do think we are bright enough to handle a slightly non-intuitive graphology of a common abbreviation. So, what is Syfy (yuck) trying to do with the re-brand? Capture a "wider audience"? Is this an indication of trend toward watered down, genericized, scifi-lite programming? Well, go ahead. Whore yourself out. Sell yourself to anyone who will buy your tawdry goods.

But don't think I'm going to settle for sloppy seconds programming. I have other options. Heard of a little thing called . . . Torchwood? Oh, yeah. I said it. There's also going to be a new Dr. Who, in case you hadn't heard. And Being Human is starting up (vampires, werewolves and ghosts, oh, my). BBCAmerica, baby. Where, apparently, they know how to treat a scifi fan. Suck it.

And don't think you can tempt me back with new Eureka and Wharehouse 13. Okay. Well. Maybe you can. Maybe. But, seriously, guys. Syfy? Bleh.

1 comment:

WashingtonGardener said...

I hatet he change too - but once someone pointed out peeps read "SciFi" as "skiffee" - I can see the problem

TIME: Quotes of the Day