Monday, July 14, 2008

Georgie Boy

Random notes and muddled musings on the George Michael show:

First off, 5 minutes lates is making me wait for it, and feels a little wrong but a little right. 15 minutes is being a tease. 30 minutes late is inevitably excusable, if begging for a drama queen crack. 45 minutes? Dammit. Now that's just rude.

But then you start to sing and I forgive you.

I had forgotten that I'd stolen one of my signature dance moves from George. Knees bent, weight on the heels, hand up in the air, palm out. Then rock it. Kills every time. Thank you, George.

George is taking quite good care of himself. He look great. Sounds even better. And he can still strut the cop uniform.

The digital background was goooooreous. Though when it wraps to the bottom of the stage, isn't that a little disorienting to see things move under your feet. It would make me kind of motion sick. But kudos to you and the backup singers.

And speaking of the digital footage, I forgot that Linda Evangelista was that stunning.

Note to straight guys with fashion aspirations: Know when to say when to the highlights.

I understand the draw of the nachos at a stadium event. Believe me, I do. But once you've done your damage to the cheesy goodness, please dispose of the remains. Old nacho and spilled beer does not a pleasant odor make.

I don't care if he says "This is the best audience of the tour!" every night. When George says it, I believe it.

George Michael, Greek. Dionysus, also Greek. Coincidence? I don't think so.

When certain songs come one, this bunny needs to disco. If you can sit through Faith, see a doctor.

Similar to the nacho note: Unless you've had a pedicure in the last 45 minutes, please keep your shoes on if your feet will be within 14 inches of someone's head. Stadium seating, people!

T-shirts: I may spend $40. I may stand in line for 20 minutes. But I won't do both.

Pre-show note from Dick's Last Resort: If you're able to pour a Guiness without making it foam over (it's a skill, she blushed modestly), it's really hard to tell if the look on a guy's face means "Wow! I'm impressed!" or "Wow! You must be an alcoholic!"

George made a point of making the "adopted hometown" crowd happy. Unless your very favorite track is some very obscure cut off of a European release, you probably would walk away happy last night. The only major track that I didn't hear was Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go. But as long as he hits Careless Whisper and Freedom 90, I think we can all forgive him.

4 comments:

Desiree' said...

Wow. Sounds like fun. I'm jealous. :(

FirePhrase said...

It was actually a lot of fun. Much boogeying to be done.

Way jealous back at you for Comic-Con. Not jealous enough that I won't want to hear every single juicy detail. But jealous none-the-less.

victory4angela said...

So, what'd you end up wearing??

FirePhrase said...

Just couldn't get the 80s look to come together. Sigh. There's a fine line between "kitsch" and "the wardrobe that time forgot". I couldn't find the right side of it.

So I wore jeans, flats and a sort of drapey grecian/babydoll top in what I thought was a subtle shade of gray. In the sunlight however it turned out to be a sort of grayish olive green. Which happened to be the color that the friend who went with me was wearing.

While we were paying for parking, I hear from behind me "See? They dressed in the same colors too!" Two gals behind me were both in black tops, white crops and black sandals. Evidently one of the girls was afraid that everybody would think they were "couples" dressing. I'm thinking "Honey. We're going to see George Michael. Let's think about what the sliding scale of gay is going to be around here, okay?" Twinkies dressing did not even register.

TIME: Quotes of the Day