Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Screw the Whales - Save the Blue Crab!




http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080716/ap_on_bi_ge/blue_crab_blues;_ylt=Aoz8qlX.1naMR85SVbO2Ec9vzwcF

Oh, my dear sweet lord. I had no idea. Why didn't they tell people before it was too late? The blue crab is disappearing? This is a catastrophe! People were fannying about with the blue whale and the spotted owl when the blue crab was on its last claws? Unbelievable. Priorities, people! You can't eat whales and owls (well, I guess you could, but yuck). And let me tell you, the blue crab is mighty fine eating. You can keep your king crab, and I spit on your lobster. But the blue crab? Delicious. And not just that. We could see the collapse of the entire "Maryland is for Crabs" t-shirt and related paraphenalia industry. I repeat - a catastrophe!

First the bees. Now this. I'm really starting to take this whole "ecology" thing personally.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Oh they warned us plenty of times -- but greddy gluttons never take heed -- personally I can't stand the smell or sight of a cooked crab -- yes, I know they'll revoke my MD licenses for that - but I said it and I stand by it - crabs are not fit human food - leave the abbaies in the Bay where they belong.

FirePhrase said...

numnumnumnumnum. Could eat my not inconsiderable body weight in blue crab. Lucky for me, and the few remaining blue crabs, I only eat crab at restaurants where I can actually smell the salt air. Any time I violate that simple seafood rule, I live to regret it. So at least don't have biological destroyer on my conscience on this front. Hushpuppies are still okay, right?

TIME: Quotes of the Day