Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Home from the hospital

Well, my baby boy is back from the hospital. Barney the Wonder Truck got to experience the American healthcare system in action. And much like a trip to the human doctor, a trip to the car doctor can take a major bite out of your ass. And I'm still smarting. B-boy was in for his 100,000 mile check up. And, well, there were complications.

Not that I begrudge my beloved Barney. He deserves the best mechanical care that money can buy. Or the best care the kind of money a pink collar job/slacker can buy. Considering that I bought the boy for cash 14 years ago, and he's had major problems a total of 4 times, he's shown himself to be a trooper. He's more than earned his keep. $1,400 is a lot of money. But considering that I bought him for cash, and I've known people who've had payments on 3 different cars in the time that Barney and I've been together . . . I suck at math, but I know that's a bunch of cash we've saved together. I may not have been able to have swung the down on my house without him. Barney's a good guy. I owe him.

But, as with every time you have major repairs done, Barney's personality has changed a little bit. His acceleration is different. Kind of slower, but more powerful. And my keys don't rattle from the vibration at a stop light. It's different. Not different bad. Just different. And considering that I have every intention of being with Barney 'til the cold, clammy hand of death parts us, we're just going to have to get used to each other again.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day