Wednesday, July 16, 2008

THIS is Project Runway

Okay. I admit it. I am normally the President of the Project Runway Booster Club. I love PR. But, for the Season 5 premiere tonight, my breath is somewhat less bated. I just don't know. I'm all anxiety ridden. The whole thing is in such a state of turmoil. What with the Project Runway/Bravo/Lifetime throwdown (I'm siding with Bravo). Tim leaving Parsons for Liz Claiborne. Nina leaving Elle for Marie Claire. And I'd swear that Michael has dialed back the fake and bake tan. It's chaos, I tell you! Of course, Heidi is still our little Klumbot, bless her. But can PR maintain it's vibe with all the upset?

My other concern is that, going into S5, are people now going to audition for the Runway because they want to be in fashion, or because they want to be on a reality show? Of course the tears and pinking shears are all part of the drama. But without the talent? It's just a bunch of drama queens behaving badly. And since we've already hit the acme of talent and tantrums with the Fierce One, where does the show have left to go? If things just degenerate to people tossing hissy fits, I hate to say it, but I'm out.

And lastly, the cast is skewed younger than ever before. Most of them are in their 20s. And frankly, the younger cast members (other than mon petit Christian), are usually the least interesting. Both as designers and characters. Sweet P, Vincent the Nutbag, the Evil Wendy, Santino, Laura Bennett and Uli were all over 30. I'm just not convinced that a young cast will be able to catch my interest. So much so that I haven't even been over to check out the cast bios. Sacrilege, I know.

Anyway.

I'll be watching. How could I not? Even in a off season, PR is going to be better than 90% of anything else on TV. And this may be the last time to see them before they get a Lifetime makeover. The mind just boggles.

4 comments:

Desiree' said...

I am also on Bravo's side. I like Lifetime, but this show needs to stay where it is working. I have actually been tuning in for Sheer Genius (the hairstyling PR/Top Chef). It is pretty good. Reminds me of PR. Lots of sassy gay guys. But one of the judges, Kim Vo, looks like plastic surgery gone wrong. His face makes Joan Rivers look natural. Every time he comes on screen, my brother and I jump and gasp. lol

FirePhrase said...

I've been watching SG too. Yeah Kim Vo is a lot weird, but still kind of sweet. That platinum blonde beeyotch from the first season needs to go away though. I don't know how somebody hasn't hauled off and punched her where her adam's apple should be.

The only thing about the Lifetime change that gives me any hope is that Lifetime has been trying to change its image. I mean, they adopted Carson Kressley. That has to say something. Right? Oh, please be right.

WashingtonGardener said...

Oh no you didn;t! Platinum blonde SHOULD have won last season - she was robbed and they semmi-admit it by bringing her Queenees back - just as they did for Austin Scrarlet on PR -- clearly hindsight has shown were the true talent lies.
Kim Vo? I chalked up to being mixed races - but maybe you are right and he has had some work. I'll look closer this week. I'm always too busy staring at Miss Chalie's Angels - STILL looking fab and those impossibly long legs --ugh -- just want her to stumble just once.

FirePhrase said...

Oh, my god. Jacklyn Smith is still Charlie's Angels fab. How does she do it? (Other than the part where she makes her living looking fab, and can consider everything she does an investment in her career. Do you suppose she can write the personal trainer and aestician visits off on her taxes?)

I'm standing pat on my position about the blonde. She talked to me like that and it would be scissors at dawn.

TIME: Quotes of the Day