Wednesday, June 4, 2008

To quote Kevin Nealon - "Dip-dip-dip"

You know while I'm on the subject of entertaining, sort of, I think I'll pass along a little recipe that I've been wearing the heck out of lately. I've used it to entertain twice, and made it a few times for myself. Basically, it's the cheapest party dip on the planet. You can make it for basically the cost of a can of beans, and takes about 5 minutes to make. But it gets rave reviews. I love it when something's fast, cheap and easy, and it tastes like you're really slaving away in the kitchen. Here it is:

1 can whole black beans (rinsed, very important)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Throw it in the blender and spin the crap out of it. If you want a runnier consistency for using as a vegetable dip, add some more olive oil or lime juice, and keep scraping down the sides with a spatula. Taste it to see if you've got enough salt.

That's pretty much it. I've used white beans too, and they were just as good. The recipe is basically hummus, which would have garbanzo beans and tahini, but who has garbanzo beans and tahini in their pantry? I've also thrown in some spices like cumin, chili powder and onion powder. With the white beans I added a tablespoon of peanut butter to add some nutty flavor. I've just riffed on the recipe basedo on what I have on hand. I mean, it's a can of beans. If you screw it up, what's the big deal? Goes great with corn chips, bell pepper, pita and toasted baguette rounds. So yummy.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

OK I have a shindog this weekend to attend and must bring food to serve 4-6 at -- think I may try this - BUT I was commanded not to bring junk food and to try for local foods - canned beans is kinda on the edge and dare I bring corn chips restaurant style to go with it?

FirePhrase said...

This goes really well with the healthy choice of carrots or bell peppers too, if you can find those locally grown. Personally, since beans are soooo good for you and a deeply practical food, you might be able to make a case for them, even if they aren't locally grown. Plus you could say that since they are such a good source of protein, you were watching out for the vegans and vegetarians in the crowd. Maybe? Might work.

TIME: Quotes of the Day