Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Fun with words

Here's a dilemma I've never quite unraveled - if you know that the correct way to do something is one way, but that's not the way everybody else does it, do you still do it the correct way? Okay, that's confusing. How on earth would you know what I mean by that? Sorry. Allow me to elaborate.

I'm a bit of a word nerd. I like words a lot. It's not like I would sit down and read a dictionary. But if I hear a new word, I will go look it up (my Momma raised me well), especially before I go use it myself. And if I'm not sure how to pronounce it, I won't even attempt it. But there are some words that are fairly common usage, that for one reason or another I know are commonly mispronounced. Like:
  • Forte: When you mean loud it's for-tay, but when you mean "a personal strength", it's fort.
  • Fillet: It's usually confused with filet (pronounced fil-ay), which is for meat, rather than fillet (fill-eht), which is for fish.
  • The Dutch cheese gouda is pronounce gow-da, rather than goo-da (of which I was informed by a reliable source who was standing in a windmill and wearing wooden shoes at the time).
  • The you pronounce the final "g" in VanGogh in the Dutch manner, rather than saying VanGo like he was some sort consonant droppping Frenchy (also pointed out by the wooden shoe sporting, and slightly cranky, Hans).

Would I ever correct someone for saying these things wrongly? Nope (my Momma raised me quite well). But, I always hesitate before saying them myself. Should I pronounce it the right way, and then have to explain myself when somebody attempts to correct me (other people's Mommas appear to have fallen down on the job), and sound like a real uptight snoot? Or just say it the wrong way? Which totally goes against my natural fussbudgettiness. I could potentially take aside each and every person that I ever come into contact with and privately have a detailed rundown of commonly mispronounced words (hitting liberry and aks along the way) before we ever have to use them in conversation, but I doubt everyone would find that conversation as amusing as I would.

For the most part, I ditch the schoolmarm routine, and just say things wrong, even though it does twist my drawers just a little. Goo-da is just as tasty as gow-da, after all. I may be uptight when it comes to this kind of thing, but that can just be our little secret.

4 comments:

Desiree' said...

Wow. I did not know any of those little "factlets". Lol. I am more of a grammar buff. I get annoyed when people use poor grammar. For instance: the dispatcher at work here asks people "would you mind to hold". Wrong! It is "would you mind holding". Also, there is a lot of "might could" said around here. Wouldn't it just be easier to say maybe? Or even possibly? Drives me batty.

FirePhrase said...

My grammar is passable at best. I end sentences with prepositions all the time. And I can never remember the difference between lay and lie. But I at least feel some shame about it.

Good thing your sister-in-law never came across the name Xerxes. But how cute is Clover? Well, played on her part.

WashingtonGardener said...

I think pronunciation really is regional and yes, back in the old cuntry they may say Gowda but here we say Gooda -- If I had to correct everyone who says "Pennsylvania Dutch" when it is really "Deutsch" as in they came from GERMANY not Holland -- that would bea whole new career. The ONLY thing that irks me pronunciation wise is (besides a Boston accent) plain not knowing the actual word -- a true sign ofa a nonreader-- supposBly, intensive circumstances, conversate -- ugh ugh ugh...

FirePhrase said...

The one that sends me really around the bend is when people add extra syllables - strategization. Um, just "strategy" wouldn't work?

TIME: Quotes of the Day