Friday, June 6, 2008

Breeze

You know the phrase "it's not the heat, it's the humidity"? I can testify, that is true as hell. Because I've lived two places that are hot as hell. And how much moisture is in the air makes a huge difference.

I've lived in a desert. And when it's dry, there's not that much difference between 82 and 102. You just don't feel appreciably hotter. Which can be dangerous, because you get dehydrated and don't notice. Then you're passing out on the side of a mountain from heat prostration. I've heard. But just for comfort level, a hot summer isn't all that big of a deal.

On the opposite side of the coin, Dallas is pretty humid. It's not as bad as places right up on the coast, but we have out moments. Moments where it's like living in Hulk Hogan's armpit. Last night as I walked to my car at the train station, it was probably only 90, but I wanted to just lay down there on the blacktop and die. Ugh.

But then I got to my car. And here's where humidity has it's advantage. The faster you go in your car with the windows rolled down, the cooler it feels. Something about the water in the air just makes you feel cooler. Now in a dry climate, you go fast with the windows down, and it's like hot sandpaper is blowing in your face. Like it's going to rub your skin right off. Unfortunately, with gas prices the way they are, jumping in the car and riding around with the windows down is no longer an economical way to cool off. I think it's going to be a long, hot, sticky summer.

4 comments:

Desiree' said...

I can definitely feel you on the humidity. Here in Pensacola, the humidity is usually 200%. No joke.

FirePhrase said...

Yeah, see, y'all have it even worse in the summer. Hopefully you get some yummy saltiness with your waterlogged air. Being so landlocked here, I definitely crave that sea air. There's an exhibit at the Fort Worth Zoo that is about the Gulf Coast habitat. When you open the doors to the building, it smells just like the beach. Always makes me a little misty.

WashingtonGardener said...

this one of those 100 degree temps & humidity days - - I want to go to all the tourists who think they can come from out of town and adjust - "you think you know but you have NO idea"

FirePhrase said...

It took me about a year to acclimate to the humidity when I moved to Texas. It's a real butt kicker. People don't realize just how much it can exhaust you.

TIME: Quotes of the Day