Friday, May 9, 2008

Hanging out

There are lots of ways you can divide up the world. Dog people and cat people. Introverts and extroverts. Drinkers and teetotallers. Early birds and night owls. Inies and Outies. Currently, the division that I'm finding hardest to navigate is the one between the "the more the merrier" people and the "who's coming?" people.

Because when it comes to organizing a get together that's the dangerous question - "who's coming?" Because it will almost always be followed by "I'm not coming if they're coming." Sigh. Oy.

Personally, I'm a "the more the merrier" type. Which is kind of strange given that I'm also an introvert. But I find that there's very few people who can ruin a gathering for me. Sure, there are some people who aren't optimal. Gloomy people who never jolly up, even for $1 wells and half-price appetizers. Conversation dominators, who won't let anybody else get a word in edgewise, lengthwise or with a battering ram. Wallflowers who want to spend the night staring at the wall. Sure, you could let them ruin the night. Personally, I see it like a living game of Tetris. Put the Conversation Dominator next to the Wallflower. The CD gets to yak all night, and Wallie doesn't have to say a word. Which they like! But never put Wallie next to the Gloomeister. Because, guaranteed, they will hate each other like fire.

And what's the worst that could happen? You get a dozen sad sacks sitting at a table together. So what? Maybe you spend the night crying in your beer. That can be fun too. Or you end up listening to somebody you don't like very much yammer on all night. Maybe you'll learn something about them that will make you finally understand, and maybe even like, them. It could happen. Or not. But then, nobody's ever died from hanging out with somebody they didn't like. Well, maybe Claus Von Stauffenberg. But that's kind of a special case.

In fact, I'm thinking now's a good time to plan a shindig. Hmm. The wheels are turning. Everybody come. The more the merrier.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

When I hold events and ANYONE dares ask me "who is coming" before giving me a yes/no - I retract their invite. Simple. Efficient. Weeds out the social duds. I'm not going to let someone else dictate who else I invite nor will I allow them to come after displaying such tacky manners. Come or don't - just grow up.

FirePhrase said...

A hard core philosophy that I admire. I never thought of it from a rudeness point of view. I went to the puzzle aspect - if Wendy hates John and John hates Sara but Sara doesn't really like anybody and Ray likes everybody, who can you safely invite to your party. Like word problems. But if you think about it as an etiquette issue, that's a whole different spin.

TIME: Quotes of the Day