Thursday, May 8, 2008

Dear Old Mom

My Mom is always hard to shop for at Mother's Day. Practical people always kind of are. They don't want you to waste money, so the standbys of flowers or brunch don't work ("Why go out to eat, when I can make us a nice breakfast here?" Um. Because you cooking kind of defeats the purpose?) And forget mani-pedis or spa treatments. And definitely nothing to sit around the house - they're downsizing. I fall back on jewelry a lot (she just got her ears pierced for the first time a couple of years ago), but I feel bad always doing the same thing.

This year, I heard of a new bluegrass singer that has the kind of high, pure voice that Mom likes. The CD came out on Tuesday, but through the miracle of internet shopping, I'll have it for Sunday (Thanks, Amazon!!). So basically, I'm off the hook. But not quite.

Mom had bought a knitting kit for a table runner, and asked me to knit it up for her - whenever I have time, no rush. Which basically means she's told me what she wants for Mother's Day. The only problem is that whenever Mom picks out something for me to knit for her, it's always something that starts out as a big square in garter stitch (shawls, purses, scarves). This is, bar none, the most boring knitting that you can do. Knit to the end, turn, knit to the other end. Yawn. And you can only do this for so long before you start to go a little nuts. I've been working on the runner off and on for a week (in my defense, she only gave it to me 2 and a half weeks ago - actually, that's not much of a defense is it?), and I'm only a foot into what should be about 3.5 feet. The only way I could possibly finish it, is if I lock myself in a closet with no distractions all day on Saturday. Oh, I could keep going the way I am and have it for her by the end of the month, no problem. But then it wouldn't be Mother's Day would it?

I don't think I'll finish it in time. I just don't have that kind of stamina. So, it's just going to be the CD, and if I work it right, maybe a big trip to Luby's for lunch (mmm-mmm-mm). I think my out is that I can give it to Mom when we go up for my cousins wedding, if I finish it in the car on the way up. Never underestimate the value of showing sisters "Oh, look what my daughter just made for me!"

5 comments:

momo said...

Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthday's -- what do people over 70 actually NEED any way? I either send food, coffee, assorted tea or ship them flowers from gardners.com -- something they can actually plant in the garden, a constant reminder that I love them -- ha! So cliche' I know!

Desiree' said...

Wow, my mom is hard to shop for too. You ask what she wants, and she says "you know what I like". Well, obviously not because I'm asking! She loves to wear earrings, but now she makes her own. I am always broke around this time of year, so I have started a new tradition. This year is the 1st annual Mother's Day brunch at my house. I am inviting my parents and my sis-in-law. This is her 1st Mother's Day, and my bro is off at truck driving school for 6 weeks (don't ask). So I went and found some semi-fancy recipes, and I am doing it up big time. Hope it is good enough to continue next year.

FirePhrase said...

My mother would box my ears if I gave her something for the garden. "What?!?! Something else I have to kill? I mean - water?"

Nice on the brunch, Des. Unfortunately, my cooking is more of a punishment than a gift. I can bake desserts, but put me in front of a stove and I lose my nerve. Are you going to make the kids clean the kitchen afterwards as their Mother's Day gift to you?

Desiree' said...

I will try to make them, but you know how kids are these days. Mine are lazy, ungrateful little buggers. But I seem to like them anyway.
PS: I am not much of a cook either, but I am trying. I went to the website for Real Simple (their recipes are fairly easy), so this could be good, or a disaster. We'll see!

FirePhrase said...

Excellent choice on Real Simple. I've seen stuff in there that I thought even I could manage.

I'm giving your kids the mental whammy right now. They are suddenly feeling the urge to put on aprons and rubber gloves. The kitchen is caaaaallllliiinnnnggggg . . .

TIME: Quotes of the Day