Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Fall in the Summer

Have you ever had somebody try to talk you out of something, and all it does is talk you straitght into it? Like somebody says "Don't bother ordering Chocolat Fantastique Cake. It's just chocolate on chocolate on more chocolate. Dipped in chocolate." Um, yes, please. "Don't bother going to see the new Vin Diesel movie. It's just him mostly naked running around firing a big gun for 90 minutes. No plot whatsoever." Please, sir, can I have some more?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080506/ap_en_re/film_review_the_fall;_ylt=Akt09zTGDZ7KjPlnL9Oum7ZxFb8C

That's pretty much the case for this review of The Fall. I had it on my short list of movies to see this summer, based on it being by the same guy who did The Cell. Which, though containing some of the na-hastiest images I've ever seen on film, was a truly fascinating mess of a movie. And he did the R.E.M. Losing My Religion video. (And if you hear the words Losing My Religion, and you don't want to put on a white shirt with rolled up sleeves, and fall on your knees Michael Stipe-style in front of a guy with wings, you need call an excorcist because a demon has sucked your soul.) So, the pump was already primed for me to go see this one.

But, somehow, I get the feeling that this reviewer wants me to not go. But then she throws out a bit like "Too often the images, shot over several years in countries including Bali, Fiji, South Africa and Italy, seem to exist because they're cool-looking and weird, and for no other reason." Cool-looking and weird? Uh, yeah. Is there another reason to go to the movies? And she seems to be really hung up on this logic thing. Okay. Whatever. If I want logic, I'll go read the latest Christopher Hitchens, thanks much. Especially in the summer. I want to leave my brain in it's handy carrying case, and just get swept away by the images. The summer is no time for the worthy documentary or the family drama. Was there ever a chance they'd release the new Indiana Jones in February? I think not.

So if reviewers got commission checks, this one would have a little something coming her way. Cause I'm definitely going.

4 comments:

Desiree' said...

Well, I had not heard of this movie before, but just reading the review makes me really want to go see it. Plus Lee Pace is a hottie.

FirePhrase said...

I saw the poster somewhere and it really caught my eye, so I looked it up. It kind of sounded like a Terry Gilliam movie. And Lee Pace is quite the cutie. I don't see a downside here.

WashingtonGardener said...

Tarsem Singh is known for images over content - I remember an interview he did where he said flat out he put certain scenes in 'The Cell' kjust because they looked cool - even if they had nothing to do with the plot or furthering the storyline - I remember being a bit apalled - he came off as an immature jerk who has no respect for real film craft, but now I think he is more an artist maverick in the bein of Dali and Warhol.

FirePhrase said...

Okay. That totally explains a lot about The Cell. If you're going to go to the trouble to see a movie on a big screen (when it's so much easier to just watch it at home on your own tv), it's kind of fun to watch something that will really bend your brain.

TIME: Quotes of the Day