Friday, May 9, 2008

Bad advice

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/five-things-you-should-never-buy-as-a-mothers-day-gift-167260/

This is, without a doubt, the most wrong-headed article ever put on Yahoo. Worse than salmon and yams for lunch. I can't believe that they'd pass this off as advice. I don't know who this woman is, but I can assure you, that she is not qualified to speak for all Mommies.

First off in the wrongness - a KitchenAid mixer with the caption "a definite no". What are you insane? I know many, many women who'd kill for a new KitchenAid stand mixer. Especially since they started coming out with the cool colors (have you seen them? Wicked cool). And also pictured as a no, the Dyson. There are a lot of Moms who'd cut the other kids out of the will if you showed up with one of those on Mother's Day.

Second in the wrongness stakes, assuming that every Mom is the same. Not every Mom is June Cleaver. Some are Annie Romanos. Some are Claire Huxtables. Some are, lord love 'em, Roseanne Connors. And you can't buy them all the same gift. My Mom is a one of a kind. One anniversary, my Dad bought her a fishing boat. And she loved it. And if your Mom is the type who never buys anything new for herself, and has been wearing the same nightie since the Reagan Administration, a brand new granny gown might be the most thoughtful thing you could give her.

So here's my advice, to replace this nonsense from Yahoo, think about who your Mom actually is. Don't give some generic, one-size-fits-all gift. Prove that you know she's a real person and not just some incubator unit that popped you out in a laboratory. And if you guess a little wrong, it's not a big deal. With Mom, it's actually true. The thought counts for a lot.

Though Yahoo is probably right about the lotions. Most Moms have all of that stuff they need. Let's ease up on that one this year.

2 comments:

Desiree' said...

I agree. I would sell my kids for a Dyson. Maybe even for the Kitchen-Aid. And I would actually like a new granny gown. It looks comfy. But what the hell do I know? It's not like I'm a mom or anything...wait a minute!

FirePhrase said...

This falls under the same heading as the group-think that created diamond commercials. What does every woman want? Diamonds! Not hardly. I'd take a primo vaccuum cleaner over a tennis bracelet any day. Dyson's are a girl's best friend.

TIME: Quotes of the Day