Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gotta Get Back in Time

I'm so having an 80s flashback. First, the new Indiana Jones movie, with Karen Allen no less. I'm having such an overwhelming urge to buy a Harrison Ford poster to put on my door so that I can kiss it every time I leave. (Call me, Indy! We'll make out!) I don't know what Allie McBeal is doing to keep him fit, but kudos to her.

Second, I'm going to see Huey Lewis & the News at a street festival in Arkansas this weekend. We're talking about a girl who knew the entire Sports album, backwards and forwards (stop judging me!!). I see much 80s dancing in the next 48 hours. Yes, it's true, the heart of rock and roll believes in love.

Third, I'm finding my late 30s to be My Awkward Years 2.0. I feel goofy, weird, awkward, silly, jumpy, anxious, giggly, moody. I don't know where I'm going. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm like one big John Hughes movie. One big, old John Hughes movie. And I'm not somebody who looks back at my teen years with excessive fondness. Not my glory days. But here I am again. Shouldn't I be too old for this crap?

It's all conspiring to plummet me into my misspent teen years. I feel a need to eat Jolly Ranchers and feather my hair. I feel the need to buy a linen look jacket and push the sleeves up. I feel the need to crank call someone. I feel the need to have a slumber party and stay up to 2:00 am eating french onion dip straight out of the tub and talking about boys. Oh, crap. I think I feel a zit coming on.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Yesyerday told me once you hit 40 it is SO much easier - I'm skeptocal - but as I hit it in 2 weeks I'll let you know.

FirePhrase said...

40 is the landmark? Good to hear. I'd hate to think I'm going to be this twitterpated forever. Of course, I thought that when you turned 20 you stopped getting pimples and would suddenly know what you wanted to do with your life. Still waiting.

TIME: Quotes of the Day