Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Warp speed!

http://science.howstuffworks.com/antimatter.htm

Okay, keeping in mind that as I read this article, I got to the part where they said positrons, and it was like, "Okay, dude, I'm out." I might as well have been banging on my head with a Van's tennis shoe. But what I did take away is that I might actually live to see long-distance space travel. Nuh-uh!

I had long ago given up any expectations that I'd live to see any of the truly cool stuff from sci-fi. I mean if I hadn't given up my Jetsons dreams, I'd be really crushed right now that I don't have a flying car and a robot maid to do my dishes. Actually, world weariness aside, I'm still kind of crushed about that. Yeah, we've got cell phones, but that's not exactly a transporter is it? And sure, you can get an electric car, but it's not exactly rocket pack. And when I was a kid, this was all going to happen in the future. Like 2010. And do I have a light saber? No.

But this, which is really bigger than all the rest, might happen. We might have the capability for inter-stellar travel before I die. Carl Sagan must be Rockette kicking in his grave. And as Mr. Spock might tell you, the first thing we should be looking for is a nice class M planet. We've kind of effed up the one we've got. The chance to use an antimatter drive to get off this rock can't come soon enough.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day