Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hey, look at the MPG on her.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/20/geo.metro/index.html

I was listening to the radio the other morning, and they started talking about what cars are hot for a girl to drive. Now, you can tell this was Texas, because one of the first mentioned was a Ford F250 dually. (And I'm kind of embarrassed for that guy. Any dude who gets turned on by tow capacity has a few issues.) But others mentioned were Escalades, Camaros, Ferraris and Bentleys. Other than big price tags, what do all these cars have in common? Crap for gas mileage. Obviously, practicality is not a quality that makes a fella's little heart go pitter pat, or other parts of his body go schwing. I don't remember which cars were on the not-hot list other than the last one - anything older than a 2000. Whoops. Guess that lets me out. Barney the Wonder Truck is evidently not a man magnet.

So rising prices at the pump are making the little old gas sipper a much more attractive prospect on the car lot. And every time somebody drops $70 (and rising) to fill up the tank on an F250, it's going to get to be less and less of a turn-on on wheels. Even in Texas. And instead of a need for speed in a Ferrari, people may be a little more content to go for a putt-putt in a some banged up old scooby that gets substantially more than 8 miles to the gallon.

But will the Metro ever be a hot car? Mmmm. The times, they are a changin', but I doubt they'll change that much. My other car is big, yellow, runs on electricity and I can fit in 300 of my closest friends. But I doubt that the train is ever going to be sexy either. Eco-friendly? Yes. Economical? Hell, yes. Hot? No. Frugality will never make you a popular girl. Ah, well. I'll have my bank account to keep me warm at night.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day