Monday, April 12, 2010

Shower the people you love with love - and onesies

Well, I went to my sister’s much delayed baby shower. Little man made an early and dramatic appearance, so he just threw things off. But with spring, her church was able to pull something together for her, so I toddled off to the other side of Fort Worth.

First, I can report that the wildflowers are spectacular this year. I saw some a couple of weeks ago down in Hill Country. But man, the trip out east was pretty breathtaking. Along the Bush Tollway and Highway 30 there were just these huge swaths of blue bonnets, peppered with bright orangey-red Indian paintbrush and what a little research is leading me to believe was crimson clover. It’s this low-to-the-ground plant with skinny stalks, topped with cone-shaped flowers in this deep raspberry color. I also peeped a few Indian blankets, but it’s a little early in the season for those. I really love that so many government groups and private citizens have taken to making sure that wildflower seeds get sown out along the highways and byways here. Sorry no pictures this time. Cars whizzing by at 70+ miles kind of scares off my photography muse.

Second, I’m pleased to report that the state of baby clothes for boys is improving. It used to be that if you wanted to buy a shower gift for a boy, you either were stuck with a sailor suit or an outfit that bordered on baby-transvestite. But there were so many little outfits that were just aaaaawwwww-soooooo-cute! Embroidered frogs and puppies. Tiny pants and argyle sweaters. Denim diaper covers. I’m pretty sure it was about all my sister could do not to start a mini-man fashion show. And I love that people are really expanding their ideas of what a good shower gift is. Yes, the teeny-tiny 3-month old stuff is almost irresistible. But they only stay teensy-tinsey for so long. And there were lots of practical gifts too. Bottles and diapers and lotion and wipes. God bless practical people. They may not get the oooos and awwwws, but they know what will be worth it’s weight in gold down the line.

And lastly, in my brief time at my sister’s church, I can assure you that Big Texas Hair is alive and well in the outlying regions of Fort Worth. Not everybody was sporting a proud, buoyant coif, but there were some truly fine examples of “the higher the hair, the closer to God.” This one older gal had the most amazing flip I have seen in years. I nearly asked her if I could touch it. It was just absolutely riveting. Makes you just proud to be a Texan, it really does.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Agreed the baby shopping has gotten much easier and enjoyable esp for bous which used to be a wasteland - I credit Target and their Circo line for upping the baby ante.
PS on the Texas hair - maybe I need to buy and pack hairspray for my trip out - or I guess where BIG hats.

FirePhrase said...

Or invest in a Bump-It. Somthing to give you a little height. October can be a little humid around here still. You have to be a rat-and-spray expert to get big hair to work under those conditions.

victory4angela said...

How have you lived down there for so long without having gone the way of Texas hair? My grandma never liked my long, relatively flat hair and once tried to convince me to go to her beauty shop so they could fix me right up. This was in HS. Could you guys have seen me coming back to SVHS with a head full of teased hair?

Yes, I love the little boy clothes at Target. I tend to go practical at baby showers too (diapers, baby wipes, onesies) but I went a little crazy for one of my friend's baby boy and bought him cute little outfits with a puppy driving a firetruck or something like that.

FirePhrase said...

Yeah, big 80s hair and big Texas hair are really two different phenomenons. Something in the height to volume ratios, and mousse v. back-combing techniques. You'd have got pegged for sure with a bouffant.

And if you can resist the puppy and froggy adorned cuteness, the you get fished in by the baby gadgets aisle. Have you seen the Pee-Pee Tee-Pees? They're these little cone shapped doodads you can use when changing a baby boy, so that he doesn't give you the spray down. Very clever.

TIME: Quotes of the Day