Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.

A friend and I went to the video store to see if we could buy something to watch Friday night. I was happily perusing titles, and had two in my hands, when she asks me “did you find anything that looked funny?” Well, I looked down at the two I had, and I can honestly say that neither would ever be described as funny. In fact, they were the kind where, if I’m watching them with someone else, at the end they will look at me and say, “Well, that was depressing.” I have a talent for picking those. Not that I deliberately go out looking for anything in the bummer category. I just look for stuff that I might have heard of and thought sounded interesting.

But it was Friday. Maybe not the best time for something that ends with breakups, double-crosses or death. So I deliberately started looking through the racks for something that I thought would be funny. Didn’t find many comedies, and none that looked good that I hadn’t already seen. And I’m not that hard to please. I like a pretty wide range of funny. Hell, I thought The Waterboy was funny. But I like high-brow, low-brow, middle-brow, no-brow. Gross-out isn’t my favorite. But when it’s really well done, there’s nothing better than that gasp and laugh.

I’d hate to think we’re becoming less funny as a culture. I mean this is a country that gave the world the Marx brothers, Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, Cheech & Chong, Mel Brooks, the Blues Brothers, Pee Wee Herman, Eddie Murphy and one damn funny blob of hair gel.

So what do you think? Have I just been missing the big laugh films? What have you seen lately that has made you laugh? And I don’t mean a “Oh, my. That’s quite funny.” I mean a real, out-loud, possessed by the demon of funny, LAUGH OUT LOUD. Anything?

8 comments:

victory4angela said...

The Hangover. It was laugh-out-load, hang on to your stomach because it huts, kind of funny.

But, you're right. Not many movies are bust-a-gut funny any more.

We saw District 9 last Friday, and I'm pretty sure it's not a comedy but we sure laughed.

FirePhrase said...

I'll have to check out the Hangover. I like Zach Galifianakis (sp?), he's odd, but funny.

Ooo. Bad news on District 9. I had reservations on lobsters as major characters. I mean, it worked in The Little Mermaid. But they sang.

WashingtonGardener said...

I LOVED District 9 and it is does have its absurd moments.

As to new comedies I have not laughed harder at films then I have in the past few years from Borat to Knocked Up, I have to remember to BREATHE I'm laughing so hard and while I adore Mel B, that never happened to me during his films. Last Sat I watched "I Love You, Man" and there are at least two scenes that had me in stitches and snorting.
Then there is my all-time new fave, Tropic Thunder, if you do not fall out of your chair at Tom Cruise (aka Dr Bogart) during the closing credits, I don't think you have a pulse. And just cause I love you all - heard it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPasYRPEZ8c
PS I watch a LOT of stand up comedy, if you need some ecommends - I can steer you - Kevin Hart is my new main laugh-meister fave.

FirePhrase said...

You know, I missed Tropic Thunder too. Maybe I need to make more of an effort to get out there and sample some comedy.

victory4angela said...

I heard Hot Tub Time Machine runs along the same lines as The Hangover, which means I will have to check it out now (and I wasn't going to).

Zach's antics make the movie, but it's the whole ensemble of guys that works so well.

FirePhrase said...

I was thinking Hot Tub Time Machine for title value alone.

And I'm thinking that I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to see Death at a Funeral this weekend as well. Chris Rock, Marin Lawrence AND Tracy Morgan? Could be lethal.

Actually, this may rise to the value of full scale quest. Find the best in comedy movies - the adventure continues.

victory4angela said...

I saw Date Night the weekend. It's cute, but not LOL. It's kind of a sweet movie about a nice married couple who tries to spice up their marriage and things go horribly wrong in a funny way.

FirePhrase said...

Date Night will be out on video after my Quest. I'll put it down for later. I have no objection to cute-funny, I'm just out for LOL right now.

TIME: Quotes of the Day