Thursday, April 15, 2010

Find the Funny

Okay, well, I’ve decided. This has become a Quest. Because I’m a big der-am-uh queen and everything has to be a Quest. What’s life if you can’t jump on your charger every once in a while and tilt at a good windmill, I ask you?

The quarry – good comedy. It exists. I just need to find it. And really, I think this has been a failure on my part. I’ve become too likely to turn my nose up instead of trying something new. And really, movies are new. There’s been a big shift in the last few years, in the Apatow vein, and maybe I’ve been avoiding because it’s not in my comfort zone. So, time to peek out of the shell and see what’s out there.

My goal will be to see 20 new comedies before the end of the month. New defined arbitrarily as “in the last 3 years and not previously seen by me”. I’ll be hitting the Big Red Box, re-sale shops, the trusty DVD section of the Target and actual movie theaters. I’ll try to shut off my filter and take in a wider range than I’ve exposed myself to lately: look for new actors, writers and directors, look outside the chick flick and sci-fi genres that is my usual wheelhouse (including shades of horror, teen movies, di** flicks, etc.). Two weeks to essentially survey the comedy movie landscape and either validate or eradicate my theory on the slow, lingering death of the American sense of humor).

I’ve got The Hangover, Tropic of Thunder, Hot Tub Time Machine and Death at a Funeral on my list. I might try Kick-Ass, though it looks a little violent to me, and has Nicolas Cage (bluh). But that’s the point, I should try things that I normally wouldn’t. Filters off! If you see or think of anything else I need to attempt toss it my way.

3 comments:

victory4angela said...

Let me know about Hot Tub and Funeral. Both look funny as he**

WashingtonGardener said...

See the Brit original of Funeral first - then the Neil LabBute written American-remake oh yeah HE did it, can you believe it?

Ps did you see the Steve Carrell Get Smart yet? I was SO skeptical but totally won over.

FirePhrase said...

I saw LaBute was directing - truly WTF. Then again, I would have paid good money to listen to him and Chris Rock in the same room together. That would be some interesting conversation.

I haven't done the Get Smart remake. I have bit of a thing for Steve Carrell (I sat through Evan Almighty) and didn't wan to be disappointed (again, Evan Almighty). But I'll give it a look see.

TIME: Quotes of the Day