Monday, August 3, 2009

Pass, thanks.

I just read a review of a book called How Not to Act Old, by Pamela Redmond Satran. Which, in and of itself, I don't find a bad idea. Times move fast these days. Lots of things happen. You can miss something that the kids are doing, that might be fun, and you may want in on it. Can't let them have all the fun. And I hear all sorts of things all the time, and I hate having to chase down my niece to make her explain them to me.

But, I make snap judgments about the self-help genre based on quick tips that a reviewer drops as samples. I'm not going to drop a tenner on a book if you don't know any more than I do.

The review in the WSJ quoted these: Don't count out exact change; don't yell into the cellphone; and don't dance to "Sexual Healing." By my count that's 3 pieces of advice; 2 stinkers.

First off, counting out exact change. I try never to hand a teenager a twenty. Some of those twinks can't add two and two without a graphing calculator. And if you hand them a full bill, you have to watch them stare at the cash drawer while they figure out how many of the big silver ones and how many of the brown ones they need to give you back. And don't even get me started on the fact that none of them know how to count back change the right way. If it's $15.49, and I have exactly $15.49, I will hand them $15.49. It just saves time.

Second, don't yell into the cellphone. This I grant. It does make you look like your trying to get Sarah to put a call through to Thelma Lou up in Raleigh. But I'd think that not hollering at technological devices would go without saying. [A better piece of advice in not looking old is to not use the Andy Griffith Show as a pop culture reference.]

And lastly, don't dance to "Sexual Healing." Sorry, Ms. Satran. Marvin sings. I dance. That's the contract.

So, as far as the handy tips, I'm coming up with a rottentomatoes rating of 66% fresh. Not good enough to get me to part with my hard earned cash. Of course, one of the benefits of acting old is that you don't have to listen to people who want to tell you how to act. And you get to keep your ten dollars.

9 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

How is counting out exact change "actng old"? I mean if you do it s-l-o-w-l-y - yeah, that is annoying and all - but if you are quick at it and know you have it onhand - then great!
I'd say instead: "Don't write checks at the supermarket" - nobody under 50 does that.

As for the don't dance to SH advice, when is this really coming up that much except in the privacy ofyour own abode -- and I say, dance there all you want to anything you want.

FirePhrase said...

Amen on the checks, sister. And they never seem to have the rest filled out ahead of time either. You know you're going to write a check. You know what store you're at. You know your name. You can have aaaalllll that done before you know the total. Never do.

I'm guilty of hearing "Get up get up get up" and stopping in the middle of a conversation to say "That's my jam", and heading for any open space that looks remotely like a dance floor. I embarass my friends and family. I care not.

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm still not seeing how dancing - to any song - is "acting old" - real, true old farts are the grumps that never move their ass

FirePhrase said...

My sister broke me of the old fart habit of snapping when I dance. Bless her for that. But I still do the white girl wiggle. Embarasses the hell out of my niece. At least it's not the Running Man.

WashingtonGardener said...

The author was on the morning shows today - heard a bunch of her other LAME tips like "don't be the one to bring donuts to the office" - screw you, Ms Crabapple! Don't ttell folks NOT to be the office mom - you are ruiningit forth rest of us!

WashingtonGardener said...

The author was on the morning shows today - heard a bunch of her other LAME tips like "don't be the one to bring donuts to the office" - screw you, Ms Crabapple! Don't ttell folks NOT to be the office mom - you are ruiningit forth rest of us!

FirePhrase said...

If bringing food is who you are, then do it, no matter if you're 22 or 66. I occasionally have this bizarre need to feed people, especially banana bread. But if you're doing it to get people to like you, or because you think that you as the "office mom" have to then that's a behavior that can just be cut out. Obligation is a bitter pill that really will make you seem older.

WashingtonGardener said...

She also said to NOT brownbag it at lunch as that marks you as "old" - whatever

FirePhrase said...

Then she hasn't been in an office since the market crashed. EVERYBODY's brownbagging it.

Maybe somebody should tell her that stressing about silly things makes you look old.

TIME: Quotes of the Day