Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Diamond may not be a girl's best friend

Oh, my, god. I can’t get Coming to America out of my head. I was reading the Time report on the Stasi file on Michael Jackson (how could I not?), and for only the most tenuous of reasons, I started singing along in my head. Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin Walls, Ronald Regan, Gorbi, Germans love David Hasselhoff, and suddenly, I’m Coming to America.

Which is fine. I love the Diamond. Even the sparkly shirt era. I don’t object on musical grounds.

I just find it nearly impossible to mentally sing C2A without the big arm gestures. There are songs that you can do a full production number in your head. Just put that peeing in the ocean look on your face and sing out, Louise. Nobody’s the wiser. But with C2A, I get to the To-DAY! Part and I find myself having to hold my arms down, in case somebody’s looking and thinks, “what is wrong with that insane woman?”

To-DAY!

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

"My country tis of thee - TO-DAY"
such a drama queen

FirePhrase said...

OH GOD NOW I'M DOING IT AGAIN!!!

Of thee I sing - TO-DAY!

Now I'm going to figure out how we can get this song played at TCF's b-day. Just for you.

victory4angela said...

If they play the song, then you must do the full dance routine for us. :)

FirePhrase said...

Like I need any encouragement. But I think of it less as a dance, and more of a tribute. When it comes to Neil Diamond, it's all about the shoulders.

TIME: Quotes of the Day