Friday, July 31, 2009

A Fine Example

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef-masters/blogs/jay-rayner/the-scotch-egg#comment-214079

On Facebook, I name checked Jay Rayner's blog from over at Top Chef Masters @ Bravo. First, because he's unique kind of British bad boy sense of humor that just tickles my wobbly bits.

Second, because he's just such a terrific example of a writing voice, and something that I really aspire to. If you've heard him on the show, you can definitely hear him reading his blog entries. Like he's sitting behind you like the 12th grade class clown whispering to you in English class, trying to get you to crack up. And personally, I find Jay Rayner whispering in my ear an intriguing idea.

But regardless of a yummy voice, it's his writing voice that I admire. What I really aim for is to have someone read a blog I've written and say, "Oh, that sounds just like her." Sometimes I'm more successful than others. Usually I know I've really got it when I crack myself up. Which is pathetic, but true.

Of course, that's blogging. As I'm writing my little plays, I'm usually doing just the opposite. Trying NOT to sound like me.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Jay can jiggle my wonnly bits anytime - LOL. He does have that English charm and wit all wrapped up, doesn't he?

I was almost getting a Gay vibe from him and then he spoke a wofe in his blog and clearly admires a well-shaped breast. :-)

Let's hope Bravo catches on and uses him MUCH more - he needs his own show IMO.

Unknown said...

I always have to judge a Brit's sexuality on a bell curve. Maybe it's being from Texas. No boots and belt buckle and I get all thrown off.

I could definitely do with him guest judging on Top Chef more. Or just a show where he sits in a bar getting thoroughly pissed, talking about food and things that wobble.

TIME: Quotes of the Day