Thursday, July 23, 2009

There are no bad kids - HA!

When The Orphan came out, my niece looked at me all big eyed and said "I want to see that . . ."

The funny thing is, that in spite of my trying to bring her up right, there are a lot of gaps in her pop culture history. Kids these days. They don't know the classics. I said, "Those movies are usually pretty good." "Those movies?" "You know. Evil kids."

So I start explaining the history of the Evil Kid. Village of the Damned. The Omen. The Good Son. Poison Ivy. Freaky, dead-eyed, scary-ass kids that would kill you for a popsicle.

Then I saw a gallery from Entertainment Weekly of Evil Tots. And they pulled out one that I'd totally forgotten. The Bad Seed. I saw that one on late night TV, when late night TV was the land of black & white; either a test pattern (remember those?), snow and white noise, or the classic movie. I shoulda gone to bed like my mother told me. That kid freaked me right out. And why wouldn't she? She invented the crazy eye. Baby Jane had nothin on her. Woooo. Forget a werewolf chasing you. Worry that this kid moves nextdoor.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

The Bad Seed os some scray ass shite - when I saw it, I kept thinking WHERE did they get this kid actor? She is TOO good at playing this part, if you know what I mean.

FirePhrase said...

She was just flat out mini psycho bitch. There are a lot of adult actors that don't do bad to the bone as well as that kid did. And there's no denying that Nellie Olsen's look was a direct crib.

TIME: Quotes of the Day