Friday, July 24, 2009

I'm going to flyyyyyyyyy . . .

Okay, ABC is starting a new show on Aug. 2 called Defying Gravity. It's being billed as Grey's Anatomy meets Star Trek. Super! I love girly sci-fi. [Though frankly, they don't have to go that far for me. I consider any sci-fi movie with Vin Diesel a chick flick.] It involves a seven-planet space mission with a bunch of randy astronauts. Fabulous!

But, uhm, 2 things. . . .

1. Defying Gravity. And I ran this past two of my theater geek friends. Where do our minds automatically go? You have to know that Elphaba is going to fly - defying gravity! If they're trying to attract a female demographic, it's probably not a good idea to pick a title that's the same as the biggest song from the most girl powered musical of the decade. [I still have my ticket stub.] Unless there are witches or Kristen Chenoweth on that space ship, we will be seriously disappointed the first time we tune in.

2. This actually only comes up if you read the press materials. The lead in the show is Ron Livingston (he's got chick cred because he broke up with SJP by Post-It on Sex in the City) as our mission leader. Now follow my logic here: This is billed as a Trek/Grey's hybrid. Star Trek was billed as "Wagon Train in Space". Therefore Defying Gravity would be a sexy Wagon Train in Space. Ron Livingston's character is . . . wait for it . . . Maddox DONNER. It's the Donner Party in Space! Am I alone in thinking this show could take a seriously strange turn in the second season? Our crew gets caught in a meteor shower, runs out of TANG and . . .

Obviously, ABC is not running these things by me before they spend a few million dollars.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I'll give it a try - but have low expectations - agree that title makes you sing it in your head everytime you read it and this couldget a bit schamltzy - even for me. Now if they cast it as a reality show - they'd be singing my song...

FirePhrase said...

How do you solve a problem like Elphaba? Oh, yeah. Totally in.

I don't know about a full out Desperate Astronauts. A lot of sci-fi serials (especially ones with military overtones) thrive on repressed passion, a la Jack and Carter on Stargate. I think watching everybody get it on in the airlock might just be too weird to handle.

TIME: Quotes of the Day