Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Groundswell starts here

Earlier this summer I said something about choosing something live and local for your entertainment spending this year. And I’m standing behind this. With one exception. I’m going to boost for Julie & Julia, sight unseen. And not just because I find the name charming, ahem. My reasons are twofold, and I would express them thusly:
  1. It is a “chick flick” that is neither a romantic comedy, nor a “woman triumphs after being beaten by every man she knows and then being stricken by a rare disease” glorified movie of the week. Frankly, barf. Tired of those. You know all those movie executives say, we don’t make “women movies” because women don’t go to the movies. Ya know why? You bore us. You have 2 story lines, and we’ve seen them. Again and again. Do you have any tricks I haven't seen? Sure, I can go to see indie movies to see a more rounded view, and I do, thank you very much. But sometimes I just want a stupid bit of fluff. And the bits of fluff I’m being offered from the big studios are tired old dust bunnies. I’ve got real hope that Julie & Julia will break out of this stale formula.
  2. Have you seen Amy Adams and Meryl Streep in the promotional pieces? I knew Meryl could play down her looks. But who knew that Amy Adams could dial it down that much. She looks NORMAL. Not uglied-up-for-the-Oscars. Just normal. Unlike, oh, say, Katherine Heigl in that thing with Gerard Butler (and sorry, GB, not even for you would I see that thing). I’m supposed to believe she has trouble getting a man? Really? Because she doesn’t know how to flirt? Sorry. She could get a guy looking like that if she had Asperger’s Syndrome and a mean case of Tourette’s. What a joke. Amy Adams (who can look like an old school screen goddess on the red carpet) looks like any one of a dozen people I know. And I don’t know if that’s talent or balls, but she’s got a lot of whichever it is. And Meryl Streep, I love it that she has both the talent and balls to put on that brown, Toni-permed wig, and rock it out as a true icon (shout out to Julia Child!).
So I’m just going to talk up this movie. Buzz has to start somewhere. And since my pops has already said he wants me to wait to go see it with him, I have hopes that this will be a cross-over chick flick. Check it out, folks.
http://www.julieandjulia.com/

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Can;t wait for this one!

FirePhrase said...

And they're plugging it during Top Chef. Talk about target marketing. I really hope this is a breakout hit. Of course, as bright as most Hollywood execs seem to be, they'll take it as a sign that "America is hungry for more cooking movies! Jennifer Anniston in a cooking competition! Katherine Heigl as a hot struggling chef looking for love!"

TIME: Quotes of the Day