Thursday, April 30, 2009

When the math just doesn't work

I wasn’t going to go to see Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. Number one – possibly the stalest concept in a very stale genre. Number two – their target market is probably not people who think that Matthew McConaughey smells like old socks and patchouli, and Lance Armstrong sweat.

But even if I was inclined to go see it, I’m sensing a slight casting problem. When you look at say Matt and Kate Hudson, you think – okay, I could see that. I look at him and Jennifer Garner and think – she could do better.

And that’s the essence of the romantic comedy for women: by the end you should think the gal and the guy deserve each other. You should think, “Ohhhh, they’ll be so happy.” Not, “Awww, she’s stuck with that idiot.”

There’s a balancing game there. With Kate, I think she’d be happily ever after with Matthew McConaughey. I think they match. With Jennifer Garner, no match. And I think that in 3 months after the sex wears off (possibly 2), she’s going to be thinking, “Please, Jesus, kill him. Cause I gotta get out of this. Don’t kill him a lot. Just a little. Just enough that I can get the hell out of here.” And that’s just not romantic.

6 comments:

momo said...

KZPS interviewed Michael Douglas the other morning (he is the "ghost" in the movie). He made many tongue-in-cheek comments about how silly the whole thing was.

FirePhrase said...

Why on earth would Michael Douglas be in this slab of piffle? He doesn't need the dough. He's one of the richest men in Hollywood. It's not like he thought the script would be a challenge. Unless by "challenge" you mean to "see how dumb I can get". Maybe he was bored. Or maybe Catherine Z told him he needed to get out of the house.

momo said...

He said he thought he could lend some expertise to the Matthew's role as a "womanizer"!

FirePhrase said...

Giving up the bongos and not making goo-goo eyes at Lance Armstrong would probably help McConaughey's lady's man cred more. But whatever works.

WashingtonGardener said...

I think it is that whole East Coast v West Coast thing - Kate is Cali breezey and flakey and Jenn is New England preppy classy -- MM is most definitely in Kate's world.

As to Mr Douglas - he needs to retire - I'm sure he did it for vanity.

FirePhrase said...

Or it could be that Kate Hudson seems to have really questionable taste in men. Has she been with anyone who wasn't a hot mess?

I'd give up any hope of Michael Douglas hanging it up any time soon. His dad is still working. He'll probably try to get a 5-minute mononlogue in before they close the casket on him.

TIME: Quotes of the Day