Thursday, April 30, 2009

Girl can't help it

The swine flu is freaking me out. I mean really freaking me out. I’m freaked.

I’m also trying not to be paranoid and a big, fat hypochondriac. But I am. I know this. Especially about big, news media driven, massy hysteria kinds of diseases. If the nightly news is all about Whooping Polio Palsy, and the symptoms are pink dots floating in front of your eyes and your toes turning purple, then I’m checking my feet every 5 minutes and am positive that I’m seeing spots that might be pink. And of course, anxiety makes my stomach all wobbly. And what’s the first item on every list of symptoms? Nausea.

It doesn’t help that this flu is the type that I always get. I don’t get the little colds or the 3 week bugs. I get the ones that come around every 10 years or so, fast and hard, with a high temp. Oh, and what was that description of swine flu? Fast and hard, with a high temp. So, if this thing comes anywhere near me, I’m going to get it. I’m like a magnet for this stuff.

But I’m trying to stay calm. Peace. Cool blue water. Cleansing breaths. And washing my hands every time I pass a sink. And avoiding germy little snot-nosed kids. And trying to not to totally go spinning as they close schools in Texas. ohgod. Cool blue water. Help!

3 comments:

victory4angela said...

Swine Flu has hit Montgomery County: 1 family in Takoma Park has a confirmed case. Rockville HS is also closed because 1 student is confirmed to be a carrier.

I'm supposed to be volunteering at the Seneca Vally HS After Prom tonight and I'm so glad it's not closed. That would be devestating for my friends who've spent the last 2 months planning for all the food. (I may not be able to go because I'll be working all weekend and staying up until 6am tomorrow morning may not help me be much of a writer tomorrow).

WashingtonGardener said...

I had not heard the TP case was actually confirmed - the TP school is not yet closed in any case --

since I had those exact same symptoms last month - and am assured it could NOT have been swine - I'm thinking many of these are false alarms over the same flu that has been going around -- still dangerous and will knock you on your ass though

I'm stocking up on the hand sanitizers as I run off to several big-crowd events this weekend

FirePhrase said...

You know it's serious when Dallas cancels its Cinco de Mayo celebrations. There's an art fair I had beeen planning to go to, but I'm betting it will be cancelled by the end of the day.

Since it seems like most of the cases are from schools, I'm really trying not to look at kids as second only to medieval rats as bearers of plague and contagion. I just want to rub them all with kitchen wipes.

TIME: Quotes of the Day