Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Fellow Americans

So, I went and voted today, in spite of the fact that I think this election may go down the Supreme Court and that just burns my biscuits. Hyperventilated when I had to fill in my Presidential vote. Whoo. That was rough. I only had to stand in line 30 minutes, so I count myself pretty lucky. Oh, and the fact that I was born in a democracy and do get to stand up and be counted. That was pretty lucky too.

But I'm standing there feeding my ballot (the SNEAKY ballot where if you weren't paying attention, you might not have noticed that the county hospital bond issue was on the BACK - yeah, if you thought you got that one over on me, you ferrets, well, ya din't! Ha!) and of course I did what all Americans do - I basked in the glow of my patriotism. Then looked around for my sticker.

No sticker. None. Not one. Can I call that voter tampering? Cause I'm a child of the 80s. We respond to stickers. I feel an overwhelming sense of achievement when I get a sticker. It's a rush. I look forward to my "I Voted Today" sticker. It seals the deal. (And by the way, next year could we get Scratch N Sniff "I Voted" stickers that smell like apple pie? That would be awesome.)

Not even to mention all the places that are offering free stuff if you have one of those stickers today. Total gyp. Other that "I live in a free country and get to vote" thing. That's a pretty good deal.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

No stickers??!! My polling place just leaves a pile of sticker rolls out - self-serve - so you could grab a bunch and hand them out to everyone - voters or not - should you be so inclined. I'd get one for you and mail it down but that'd be a bit late for your free B&J scoop.

FirePhrase said...

Usually that's how it works at my polling place to (though it felt more like a shafting place today - har har).

Or my free Krispy Kreme or my free cup of joe from Starbucks or cupcake from Sprinkles. To quote Hugh Grant in 3 Weddings and a Funeral - bugger, bugger, bugger.

TIME: Quotes of the Day