Monday, November 3, 2008

Back Down to Size

Sometimes the Universe steps in to keep you from getting a big head.

Saturday I was having a lucky day. Verging on magic. Everywhere I went, there was a good parking space. I found Gold Toe socks at the $ store. I found a used copies of Clue and the Full Monty at the Movie Trading Company. I found the end table that a friend was looking for at the World Market. Not just good. Perfect. And half off. Oh, yeah. I was running late for a show, so we stopped at a place for dinner that I had had a bad experience at (the Liberatus Day Hushpuppy Debacle), but knew would be pretty fast. And it was fast. And fantastic. Even the tartar sauce was good. And I hate tartar sauce. I'm telling you, the Universe loves me.

The next morning, I go over to my parents house to help them put away the Halloween stuff. My Dad is making waffles. Could the streak continue? It's so nice out, I'm in my barefeet. What could be better? Then as I'm taking stuff out to the car so that I can leave, I step out the door and onto a wasp.

Yes, I was still in my barefeet, thank you for asking. Holy cats. Such pain. I'm sure there are things that are more painful - gunshot wounds, getting hit by a bus, cattle prods. But of normal things that could happen to you, a wasp sting on the bottom of the foot has to be right up there. Wasps are mean.

On the positive side, at least it happened at my folks house. A place where they actually have meat tenderizer to put on a flaming foot. If it had happened at my place, all I could have done is rolled around on the floor moaning and damning all stinging insects. But as it was the pain, though excruciating lasted only 10 minutes or so. But thank you, Universe. I get the point.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

OKay wasps ARE mean but you did step on it - I mean it is not like he kamikazed on you out of the blue.

I know that really stung though - I have some salve made up in my fridge for stings but hoping never to have to break it out.

FirePhrase said...

I did encroach on his air space, but an Al Pacino-style "Hey! I'm flying here! I'm flying here!" would have been sufficient.

Mom went on WebMD and found that you can also try vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or tobacco. See? Even Moms are going all cyber.

TIME: Quotes of the Day