Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Soup is ON

So, my latest project – lunch. I’ve been really good since the beginning of the year about bringing my lunch to work. Better than ¾ of the time, I think. Partially financially motivated. It costs a lot to buy lunch. Partially health. Because I can’t be relied upon to make the sensible choice when I’m already hungry.

I went through a Lean Cuisine stage. But getting a frozen dinner to work still frozen is just kind of a hassle given my commute time. Then I went through a box noodles phase (Ming’s are way tasty, Taste of China not so much). But I started to worry about the amount of excess packaging those involve – paper and/or plastic outer wrapping, plus 2 to 3 plastic packages inside, plus the occasional spoon thrown in. And you have to be really careful about reading the label, because some of them have two (or more bizarrely 1 and a half) servings. Yeah, like I’m going to save half a serving for tomorrow. If it’s in front of me, I’m going to eat it, damn the calorie count. Now I’m doing the little paper soup cups, as in “peel back lid, add hot water to fill line, stir and enjoy!” (Always with the “enjoy!” I’ll be the judge of that, thank you.)

But then I’m looking at my cup of potato leek soup thinking, why can’t I do this? My semi-literate palate is picking up dried potato flakes, powdered milk, dried onion and carrot (leeks? Perhaps.) and possibly some sort of bouillon. Big whoop. I can do that. And a quick Google search for recipes pretty much confirms that any idiot (i.e., me) can make their own cup o’ soup. And put it in a handy, reusable cup for transport.

Cheap? Perhaps. Green? Potentially. A slightly silly DIY project that I can make into an entire evening of slapstick fun? Mos’ definitely. I’ve found a fairly edible sounding instant potato soup recipe. If anybody has one that’s for other flavor (esp. interested in tomato or pea), pass it on along.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

oooh I could get into this - maybe even have a dry soup mix makings party so us single gals could do batches and share - let me know how it turns out

FirePhrase said...

LOVE the party idea. Because some of the seasonings are going to be fairly standard across the board (onion, carrot, parsley, salt, pepper). And being able to make a variety keeps lunch from getting same old same old.

TIME: Quotes of the Day