Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The nose knows

I like to share stuff with y'all when I find that it works. My latest happy discovery is Chloraseptic Allergen Blocker. You know I'm a martyr to the allergies. And I've tried every remedy out there. I'm more or less happy with Zyrtec (no dry mouth, no drowsiness). But during the worst of my allergy seasons, the amount of irritants in the air is more than Zyrtec can cope with.

So, I was kind of perky-earred when I heard of the Allergen Blocker. It's basically a gel that you rub around the outside of your nostrils and under your nose. It kind of just acts like allergy fly paper and catches dust, mold, pollen, etc., before it gets into your sinuses. And it works! I was kind of doubtful. But I've been using it in high allergy alert situations for a couple of weeks, and been really impressed.

Plus, because it's "external use", no side effects. Well, it does kind of smell like Elmer's Glue when you first put it on, but that goes away after a minute or so. And it could possibly induce a heart attack when you see the price. $14.99 for an eensy tinsey tube. In theory, that's 150 applications, but it's still a big outlay. I'm using it only in high need, like when I'm outdoors for long stretches, or the pollen count is through the roof. The big test was the Peacemakers show in Gruene. I was able to stand in an open air dancehall, surrounded by miles and miles of mountain cedar and ragweed, and didn't have one problem.

4 comments:

Desiree' said...

Wow! My daughter has allergies, and she uses Zyrtec. So far it is the only thing that works. But I like that this is not a medication with all the side effects. I do not like the price, though. But we may have to try it. Thanks for the info!

FirePhrase said...

I know. The price! But Walgreens has it on sale this week for $2 off (at least in my neighborhood). I'm just keeping it for those times when I have activities that I don't want ruined by a sinus attack.

WashingtonGardener said...

Hey - they stole that idea from holistics meds andthen jack up the price - now that is outrageous - check your local nature/health food stores for much cheaper and better sticks.

FirePhrase said...

Really?! Dang. I'm going to have to hit the hippie store and see what they got.

TIME: Quotes of the Day