Friday, October 17, 2008

Reading Rainbow

Today is one of those days where, quite unfairly, resent being at work. It's not work's fault that it pales in comparison to what I'd rather be doing. Which is finishing the first book of the Orphan's Tales by Catherynne Valente. Oh, mygodsogood. You know when something is so good that your brain just stalls for just a second? That good.

The story is this interlocking series of stories (folk stories, fairy tales, sagas?) that chain out, then loop, then forge out into a new direction, that once you turn a bend you find is not as new as you first think. I finsished the first part of the book, thinking "damn, the second part can't be this good." And I was wrong. There was a moment this morning as the train pulled near my stop, when something happened in the story and my eyes glazed over and I couldn't form a coherent thought. Then I nearly screamed because in about 15 seconds I was going to have to close the book. Damn real life and all of its inconveniences.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

damn, I have not had that good a read in a long time -- my test is if on the airplane can it make me forget that I'm there in a metal tube full of germy fellow passengers hurtling through the sky.

FirePhrase said...

I finished the book on the train. Total wow. It was about 500 pages. And I can't wait to crack open the sequel.

TIME: Quotes of the Day