Thursday, October 16, 2008

Project Runway - the last blast

Yep, I'm calling it the last blast. Cause when PR ends up in it's new home, all bets are off. Will it still have the same flavor out from under of the Bravo umbrella? I have no confidence. I'm going to consider the next season an entirely new show and try to keep my expectations under control.

So, now that I've taken up some space and can get into the spoilage. Kenley gets her well-deserved comeuppance. And let that be a lesson to you, young lady - the dapper uber-mensch/fashion maven that you're lippy to today could be judging your crazy-ass collection tomorrow. That's right. D'oh! And her collection was kind of crazy-ass. Cute. But cra-zazy. 2 looks into her collection and I knew she was going to sailing away in her kooky hats on whatever Good Ship Lollipop she spends most of her mental time. And frankly, the hand-painted dress that they said looked like Balenciaga? I think the judges were being kind. It didn't look Balenciaga. It looked like the My Michelle dress that they put out every year for about half of the late 80s and early 90s. In fact, I owned about 3 of them. Purple, floral, poofy shoulders, fitted waist. I remember them well. Those who don't remember fashion nightmares are doomed to relive them.

Korto on the other hand - the colors! There were two green dresses in that line that I would have given my left eyeball for. And been a happy one-eyed camper. She had some fabulous looks. All after giving the nail-biter moment of the show - two new looks? Damn. That's balls. And overall, I thought I might be looking at the winner.

Until LeeAnne's collection came into view. Wow. Chic. Gorgeous. Architectural. Innovative. I just was blown away by the way each piece had a distinctive silhouette when standing still, but moved in exactly the waves that were her inspiration when going down the runway. Spectacular. And when only doubt that the judges have is whether you can top something good? I knew she had it nailed. For me, possibly the best overall collection of the series.

And on two wrap-up notes: 1) Thinking of possibly changing my name to Petals, thanks to Michael Kors. 2) When LeeAnne busts out with "Drinks are on this brother!", did anybody else look at the other people watching with you (in my case imaginary people), and say "Did she just say that?" Almost as weird as that PR archive tidbit of Stella Leatha giving birth to a red corseted Blayne. Definitely hitting the mental delete key on that one.

So, that's it. Until the next (hopefully not radically altered) season. See y'all then. Same Bat Time. Different Bat Channel.

6 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I like LeeAnn but really thought Kortu was robbed - WHOSE are going to sell more and actually BE worn? LeeAnn's are nice and pretty but really not wearable in real life - kinda thing you buy to look at on the hanger -- meanwhile that dress she picked for the judges was HOT - I see knockoffs coming to many stores this fall.
And Kenley, UGH - that strapless dress with the added floral rump/hip - HIDEOUS!

FirePhrase said...

I'll agree, that LeeAnne wasn't designing for me. Or anyone I actually know. But damn it was gorgeous stuff. I wish I was the girl who wears those clothes.

I also don't fear for Korto's career at all. People will want her clothes. And in the case of that asymetrical green halter dress, want them bad. I thought possibly one of the things that killed it for her was that she sent things down in kind of a funny order - not arranged by color or casual to formal. It made the presentation seem a bit uneven. LeeAnne played to expectations (plainer pieces to more dramatic) and I think it may have been an advantage.

Totally agree about the rump/hip dress. It looked like something one of Carol Burnet's whackier characters would wear. But that's probably another reference that Kenley wouldn't get.

Desiree' said...

I have to say that I did not really care for Kenley's designs. And with that attitude, I am glad she did not win. I really liked the colors of both Korto's and Leanne's designs. I thought that Leanne's had a little too much of the same wave thing going on for me, but I do admit that she had a great line. I wanted Korto to win, but I knew it would be Leanne. But I am not disappointed. However, I will not be following this show to Lifetime. I have too many shows to watch, and not nearly enough time. So I am giving it up. I am a much bigger fan of Top Chef anyway. November 12!

FirePhrase said...

I have definite misgivings on the Lifetime/PR front. But I'm willing to give it a shot. It might me okay.

On the Top Chef front, very intrigued by the NY location. The challenge possibilities are endless. Definitely going to be watching.

WashingtonGardener said...

I have to modify my Top Chef in NY expectations - keeping them low - just in case this season the casting is off though the settings should be fun and more recognizable to me.
Are you all watching Real Housewives of Atlanta? if so what is with that one token white lady and her hair?? It looks like Barbie hair pasted on her head - so rich but so trashy.

FirePhrase said...

I just don't get those Housewives shows. They don't sew anything, cook anything or slap a coat of paint on anything. Where's the fun in that?

But I know who you're talking about. All I know is that she calls her invisible boyfriend Big Poppa or something like that. WTF?

TIME: Quotes of the Day