Monday, June 23, 2008

Radar Love Redux

One of the more strange consequences of the rising gas prices is that I now get to listen to the joys of the "Double Nickel". If you aren't fluent in codger, or don't have a handy copy of the "Old Coot to English Dictionary", the "Double Nickel" would be driving 55 mph. And my Dad is now a big, big fan.

Since car engines lose efficiency over 55 mph, you can actually save gas by not speeding. Or in some cases, not doing the posted speed limit. Dad likes to get out on the open road, and nail that cruise control down on the old Double Nickel. He saved over a third of a tank on his last trip up to Oklahoma City. So he was just cruising along at 55 in places where the speed limit ranged from 55 to 65. Just shaking his head over all the gas those people were wasting. They just must not know about the joys of the old Double Nickel. And of course, he'll tell me the story about how much gas he saved very seriously, so that I, his daughter will too know the great and powerful Double Nickel. Not that he's telling me what that I shouldn't speed. He just thought he'd share. Ok. Got it. Good to know. Thanks, Dad.

This is just Pop's latest obsession. Much like when he discovered the senior discount coffee at Jack in the Box - "You have to ask for it. They won't just give it to you." Yeah, Pop, but you have to eat at Jack in the Box to get it. "But your mother and I can split a Breakfast Jack and eat for $2.75!" Or that they sell 9-volt batteries at the $1 Store in a 4-pack. "They've got a 6-pack, but they're no good." But Pop, you're on a ladder replacing the batteries in the smoke detector every other month! "I'm retired. What else do I have to do?"

If they ever come up with a website called "Stuff Old Dudes Like", they should e-mail my Dad for tips. He's got a million of them.

4 comments:

momo said...

This explains why freeway traffic was going 55 mph -- in the FAST lane -- Saturday. SO annoying! I get it the concept, but PLEASE move over to the right lane.

FirePhrase said...

If you passed Dad he was definitely in the right lane. He loves to tell me that changing lanes is the MOST DANGEROUS ACTIVITY BEHIND THE WHEEL. To hear him tell it, you take your life into your hands every time you cross the Dotted Yellow Line of Death. If at all possible, he'd never get out of the right lane.

Desiree' said...

Like Sammy Hagar says, "I can't drive 55!". I am a speed demon. Luckily, I got the company to pay for my gas instead of a $1 raise this year, so I am doing okay.

FirePhrase said...

I've tried banging on the conductor's door on the train and yelling "Floor it, Bubba!", but for some reason he seems to feel the need to obey the speed limit. Sissy.

I've been on the highway exactly 2 times in the last month. I kind of miss it. But until I get that car that runs on banana peels and happy thoughts, I'm cutting my driving way back.

TIME: Quotes of the Day